Single Drive to RAID 1

Support and Discussion for HUR5-SU3 ProRaid - For PC Users

Single Drive to RAID 1

Postby kbaynes » March 9th, 2018, 2:44 pm

I have a single drive currently. I plan on buying another and setting up RAID1. What is the best way to arrange this? Should I run in single mode, then set it for RAID1 only after adding 2nd drive? Or should I set it for RAID1 from the beginning and simply add the second drive later?
kbaynes

Re: Single Drive to RAID 1

Postby kbaynes » March 9th, 2018, 6:14 pm

From the (very minimal) user guide:

"When both HDD are installed at the same time in any RAID mode, all data will be formatted."

Does this mean that if I run in Single mode, and then I install a second drive and set it to RAID 1 that both drives will be formatted?

This is very important to know as it could result in total data loss.
kbaynes

Postby kms108 » March 10th, 2018, 9:11 am

I like to ask, is it possible to do the following.

I have a few 500GB, 1TB and 2TB, and I would like to setup a raid 1 with two 8TB, but can only get one 8TB at a time, like ops, i would like to add another 8TB at a later date.

I know that you need to have two drives to setup raid 1, so it's useless to use one drive first as it will get formatted afterwards, instead can I do this.

Can I start of with two 500GB drives to setup raid 1, then remove the 500GB drive from Bay 2, then put the new 8TB drive in to bay 2, this should get rebuild for raid 1.

Once both drives, 500GB and 8TB gets setup for raid 1, I then remove the 500GB drive from bay 1.

Can i use the 8TB drives on it's own which is set for raid 1(insert and removes files), although it cannot operation as a mirror as the setup only has one drive atm.

At a later date I will put another 8TB drives in the empty bay 1, will this drives rebuild itself to complete the full raid 1 setup.
kms108

Postby kms108 » March 10th, 2018, 9:15 am

kbaynes wrote:From the (very minimal) user guide:

"When both HDD are installed at the same time in any RAID mode, all data will be formatted."

Does this mean that if I run in Single mode, and then I install a second drive and set it to RAID 1 that both drives will be formatted?

This is very important to know as it could result in total data loss.

Just like what I have posted, I think you have to setup raid first, switch modes afterwards will have all data deleted, i'm waiting for reply to my post to see if my suggestion is doable.
kms108

Postby kbaynes » March 10th, 2018, 11:47 am

I installed single 4TB drive in RAID 1 mode. The device is working properly so far.
kbaynes

Postby kms108 » March 10th, 2018, 11:52 am

With one drive, you cant setup a raid 1, the enclosure will still treat it as a non raid setup.
kms108

Postby kbaynes » March 10th, 2018, 4:00 pm

kms108 wrote:With one drive, you cant setup a raid 1, the enclosure will still treat it as a non raid setup.

Yes, I understand that one drive can't make a RAID array. :) What I am saying is that the MediaSonic device has the dip switches set in the RAID 1 configuration, and there is only one drive inside, and it's working fine. I'm hoping that I can add a second drive and it will simply sync with no data loss.
kbaynes

Postby kms108 » March 11th, 2018, 1:57 pm

It doesn't matter if there is a dip switch, without two drives to do the setup, the setup won't initalize, you just won't get a response, you will still lose data when adding the second drives as it will format both drive to rebiuld for raid 1.
kms108

Return to HUR5-SU3 ProRaid - For PC Users