USB Connection Drops out Briefly, BUT almost Daily!

Support and Discussion for HF2-SU3S2 ProBox - For PC Users
GDog

USB Connection Drops out Briefly, BUT almost Daily!

Post by GDog »

Hello everyone,
FYI: I did search before posting but could find nothing. Sorry for the length but it is a bit complex.

I am running a fairly new HF2-SU3S2 Rev3 box. It is connected via USB to an 83TB Windows Media Server running StableBit DrivePool. The HF2-SU3S2 is connected to a Rosewill RC-509 PCI-E 4x USB 3.1 Expansion Card, with the ASMedia ASM1142 Controller Chip on a SuperMicro Server Motherboard. The cable I used connects from the USB 3.1 Type-C Port on the RC-509 to the USB Type-B Port on the HF2-SU3S2. It is a 24" High Quality Cable with Gold Plated connector tips. Currently only 2 of the 3 drives in the HF2-SU3S2 have been added to the pool (see Table below), and the remaining 2 drives will sit idle until needed. One is connected and running idle in the HF2-SU3S2, and the other will be added to the box as soon as I resolve this USB issue.

Here is how the drives are now installed:
Slot 1 (Top): Seagate Baracuda 8TB ST8000DM004 (3.5" Schucked) POOLED
Slot 2: WD RedWL 14TB WD140EDFZ (3.5" Schucked) NOT POOLED
Slot 3: Seagate 5TB ST5000LM000 (2.5" Schucked) POOLED
Slot 4: (Btm) EMPTY [Seagate 5TB ST5000LM000 (2.5" Schucked) PLANNED
All drives in the HF2-SU3S2 are new or nearly new and were fully tested with Hard Drive Sentinel Pro v5.61 for any problems beforehand.

The issue I am having is with the USB Connection. It will randomly disconnect from the HF2-SU3S2 box entirely, which takes all the Drives offline obviously. It stays offline only for a very few seconds and then reconnects itself, and all drives immediately come back online. This has been occurring for about 15 days and I can see no particular pattern as to when (or why) it happens.

The problem with this (in my system) is that the drives in the HF2-SU3S2 are independently part of the Drive "Pool". Whenever this happens, the Pool shuts down, reports the drives as "Missing", then (always less than 1 minute later) reports them as (Back Online). This triggers a complete Re-Measuring process for the ENTIRE 83TB Pool innvolving all 28 Drives. This process takes about 5 to 7 Hours to complete, during which time access to the entire Pool is severely restricted. If this happens between the hours of 11pm and 7am it can cause some automated Backups to FAIL for the 11 PC's in my Family that I manage. In short, this is causing me a lot of headaches to constantly correct the damage, especially since it seems to be happening anywhere from 3 to 7 times per week.

So, what I could use some guidance on is where to begin to troubleshoot. What can I blame this on? Is it the HF2-SU3S2 box? The Rosewill RC-509 USB 3.1 Card? Or its Driver? Or is it the Cable? I thought the HF2-SU3S2 is ASMedia Chipped, and I know the RC-509 is as well. The RC-509 is a quality part and its PCIe 4x (x2 lane) should provide plenty of Bandwidth. So I am not inclined to look for a compatibility issue there - unless it could be a Driver. Does anyone have any knowledge regarding Drivers for ASMedia ASM1142 Chipped cards? The version I am using is the latest (I thought). Device Manager identifies it as "ASMedia USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller" and the Driver version as 1.16.25.1 dated 5/11/2015. When I installed the Driver originally I searched for a newer one but could not find any.

That's about it. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? Appreciate it very much.
GDog

Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Re: USB Connection Drops out Briefly, BUT almost Daily!

Post by Admin_Mediasonic »

HF2- has Jmicron chipset ( not Asmedia)
is the 83TB pool made of all USB enclosures??

GDog

Post by GDog »

Thanks Admin,
"HF2- has Jmicron chipset ( not Asmedia)" -
Are you inferring there might be a problem between these two different chipsets?
"is the 83TB pool made of all USB enclosures??" -
NO. The only USB connections are the ones in the "HF2". All the rest are SATA/SAS.
So what do you think the problem might be?

Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

No there is no problem with those chipset, was just letting you know what chipset it has

which model of Rosewill RC-509 USB 3.1 Card are you using?

GDog

Post by GDog »

Re the Chipsets, glad there is no known issues with them.

As far as I know RC-509 *is* the unique Model number and there are no other variations.
Here are the Specs:
► Asmedia ASM1142 chipset
► PCIe 2.0 x4 form factor
► 1 external USB 3.1 Type-A + 1 external USB 3.1 Type-C connector
► Support up to 10 Gbps bandwidth performance with low latency
► Compliant with Universal Serial Bus 3.1 Specification Revision 1.0
► Compliant with Universal Serial Bus Specification Revision 2.0
► Complaint with Intel's eXtensible Host Controller Interface (xHCI) Specification Revision 1.1
► Supports simultaneous operation of multiple USB 3.1, USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 devices
► Max. 5V/3A output for Type-C port; Max, 5V/900mA for Type-A port
NOTE: This is the only Spec I can see even a remote possibility of an issue given the large difference in current, 3000mA for the Type C Port vs 900mA for the Type A Port. Possibly the excess current could cause an intermittent temporary overload & drop out. I haven't yet tried switching the ports yet. I wanted to ask you first. I thought the extra current on hand would actually enhance stability. What do you think?
► Over current protection for each port
► Supports 2 downstream ports for all speeds
► Built-in 4-pin power connector for receiving extra power supply from system
► Hot-swapping feature allows you to connect / disconnect devices without powering down the system
► Support Windows 7/8/8.1 (32/64 bit)
---------------------------------------------------
Features:
► PCI-E (PCI Express 2.0 x4 form factor) to 2-Port USB 3.1 (Type-C and Type-A)
► USB 3.1 Gen II (2nd Generation) SuperSpeed up to 10 Gbps Data Transfer
► USB 3.1 Expansion Card Supports Windows 7/ 8/ 8.1/ 10 Operating System
► Low-profile Ready with Low-Profile Bracket Included in the Packaging
► Built with Asmedia ASM1142 Chipset, it is the #1 Choice for USB 3.1 Controller Chipset
► This PCIE to USB 3.1 Expansion Card has 3 Ports: 1 USB 3.1 Type A Port; 1 USB 3.1 Type C Port, 1 Internal 15-pin Power Connector

Here is a Link to the Rosewill site:
https://www.rosewill.com/product/rosewi ... el-rc-509/

The HF2 is connected through the Type C Port. Nothing else sharing that port. The Type A Port connects to an Anker USB 3.0 10-Port 60W Data Hub. It has its own dedicated 65W PSU. There is one small 2.5" HDD connected at present but not part of the "Pool".

Do you have any idea what might be causing this issue yet?
Thanks

Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

On the RC-509, the power is connected to the card right? double check

which cable are you using ( USB- B to USB-C)

can you try with original cable and connect enclosure to USB-A on RC-509 and see if it does the same thing?

Return to “HF2-SU3S2 ProBox - For PC Users”