Controller error when using SuperSpeed USB on Thinkpad W541

Support and Discussion for HF2-SU3S2 ProBox - For PC Users

Controller error when using SuperSpeed USB on Thinkpad W541

Postby MSUser » November 28th, 2016, 12:51 pm

I have been using USB 3 port of the "Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2 ProBox 4 Bay Hard Drive Enclosure with USB 3.0 & eSATA" for the past 3 years with the USB 3 Port of a Thinkpad W520 laptop (Windows 7). I have not had any problem in transferring large files (I have tried files of size 60 GB (the single disk for a VMware virtual machine)). Recently, I was issued a new Thinkpad W541 (Windows 7) for my work. I am not able to use the Super Speed USB (USB 3) port of the Thinkpad 541 with the USB 3 of the Probox to transfer large files (seems to happen with files of size larger than about 1 GB - Not very sure about that - I did not want to test it too much for fear of corrupting the files). The transfer seems to start successfully, and after a few minutes the drives in the Probox start disappearing and reappearing. The transfer fails.

The Windows Event Viewer shows "Controller error" and paging errors. For example, I see the following messages in Event Viewer: 1) An error was detected on device DeviceHarddisk5DR8 during a paging operation. 2) The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur. 3) The driver detected a controller error on DeviceHarddisk4DR11. 4) The driver detected a controller error on ...DR11. 5) The driver detected a controller error on DeviceHarddisk3DR5.

I have tried this with both the USB 3 Ports of the Thinkpad W541 and ran into the same problem.

I have tried with another Thinkpad W541 (Windows 7) and encountered the same issues when using USB 3 (SS USB)

I am able to transfer those same files, if I use the USB 2 ports of either of the Thinkpad W541. But this is at a much slower speed (about one fifth of the speed of the USB 3 - when it worked with the Thinkpad W520)

Thank you for any resolution to this issue. Currently the Probox is not very usable. I bought it for the USB 3 capabilities..
MSUser

Re: Controller error when using SuperSpeed USB on Thinkpad W

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » November 28th, 2016, 1:07 pm

what is serial# on your unit?
email that to us rma_east(at)mediasonic.ca
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Return to HF2-SU3S2 ProBox - For PC Users