Mirror Drives / Not Backing up...

Support and Discussion for HF2-SU3S2 ProBox - For PC Users
TRON

Mirror Drives / Not Backing up...

Post by TRON »

I have had my ProBox for a year, I have a 6TB HDD1 and HDD2 that was setup for me to mirror. I just checked the other day and HDD1 shows 1.22 TB free and HDD2 shows 2.45 TB free. At some point these stopped mirroring. I have no idea how they were setup. I need some basic walk through as I purchased 2 more drives, both 4TB and added them to the last 2 bays.

I formatted HDD3 and am confused as to what I have to do with HDD4 in order to mirror them. I could use some basic instruction and also some help finding out why HDD1 and HDD2 are no longering syncing up.

Do I format both drives, set one as Primary and then add mirror? Click on main 4TB drive and add HDD4 as mirror?

How do I make sure these drives are mirroring, is there software that can keep them working? How can I monitor them so if HDD2 dies and I keep using HDD1 until it dies how will I know without some kind of notification?

Confused...

Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Re: Mirror Drives / Not Backing up...

Post by Admin_Mediasonic »

Hi
If you have a Probox, This model does not have build in Raid
So are you doing Software Raid?
double check your enclosure model #

TRON

Post by TRON »

OK, model # HF2-SU3S2 Rev 3

I was formatting and trying to "clone" drives with EaseUS. I'm not sure "Cloning" is what I even want to be doing? I want a backup of each drive, on the fly, if I delete a file from from one, it is gone from the other and so on... also there will be big files on the drive anywhere from 1GB to 20GB.

What software is recommended? I really need to get this working..

Currently I have 4TB used on the 1st 6T drive, if I was to use software could it be done without formatting? I don't want to have to find a way to back up and start over.

Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

if you are using USB
the only way you can combine or do a mirror
is to use the Storage Spaces, build in to Windows 10
that will let you create a drive pool
see http://techgenix.com/windows-10-storage-spaces/

TRON

Post by TRON »

Does it make any difference if I use eSata? or does that only affect speed?

I'm still using Windows 7, I assume this works the same way....

https://hetmanrecovery.com/recovery_new ... -or-10.htm

Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

with eSata, you can create software Raid with Disk Management.
but you need an eSata card / port that supports port multiplier

Win 7 does not have MS Storage Spaces.

TRON

Post by TRON »

OK Thanks! I will use eSata card and software Raid/Disk Management.

My next question is if I use RAID 1 does the clone know when I have deleted files and updated between the drives or is it just backing up the stuff I add? I'm not sure if that makes sense, I know cloning by default should mean that everything changes exactly between the drives but I wanted to make sure if I remove a file on drive A it will be removed on drive B without me having to go in somewhere and click a button to "Compare" the drives and then "Update" them to be the same, I have seen software that acts like that... and I would rather it did it by itself rather than have to do it manually on a daily basis.

Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Raid 1 is for 2 drives only.
So say slot 1 and 2. in Raid 1 you will only see 1 drive. ( slot 2 is mirror of slot 1)
whatever you put or delete is always mirrored.

TRON

Post by TRON »

I installed my 2 Port PCI eSATA controller card, I was getting a blue screen of death when trying to start Windows, changed some registry settings and it worked. All drives are showing up now, my next question does it matter the order the drives are put in within ProBox? It's mostly how they are configured within the disk management for cloning right? If I want to clone Drive 1 to Drive 2 it doesn't matter if they are seated in the top 2 as long as they are configured within disk management? I just want to make sure I'm not going to cause any conflict with the drives if they are seated incorrectly, though I am doubting that makes any difference other than it's easier to look at and see Drive 1 cloning to Drive 2 and Drive 3 cloning to Drive 4....

TRON

Post by TRON »

OK, I'm using EaseUS Partition Wizard and turns out if I want to clone a drive I have to do it every day if I'm constantly adding files otherwise it won't just update the files from one drive to the next. How inconvenient... does anyone know how to actually have a drive backup on the fly to another drive? Clearly this software clones things but only when you tell it to do the whole drive at once.

Return to “HF2-SU3S2 ProBox - For PC Users”