S.M.A.R.T. Status capability

Support and Discussion for HF2-SU2S2, HFR2-SU2S2, HFR2-S3B and HFJ2-SU2

S.M.A.R.T. Status capability

Postby Eldon.McGuinness » October 3rd, 2014, 10:57 pm

I previously purchased an HF2-SU2S2 drive only to be bit by a nasty little issue where the drives do not all show up in SMART applications such as Sentinel. I am in the market for another enclosure, but wanted to know if this newer version (HF2-SU3S2) had the same issue.

To be exact, I want to know if applications that monitor the SMART status of drives will be able to see all four (4) drives at the same time when hooked up via USB 2.0 or USB 3.0. The previous model is only able to see one (1) at a time over USB 2.0 and I do not want to go back down that road.
Eldon.McGuinness

Re: S.M.A.R.T. Status capability

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » October 10th, 2014, 4:32 pm

have you tried the newest version of Hard disk sentinel?
SMART info works fine
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Re: S.M.A.R.T. Status capability

Postby Eldon.McGuinness » October 31st, 2014, 1:20 pm

I have tried HDSentinel v4.5 with the HF2-SU2S2 that I currently own and it most certainly does not report the SMART data from all four drives. I previously had posted about this, but it looks like the thread was removed "http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=645". Long story short, the staff here said that the box does NOT support SATA on all drives as it is a hardware limitation over USB and that it was never advertised to support it. Now if you are telling me otherwise then I am all ears.

Which brings me back to my original question, does the HF2-SU3S2 enclosure have the same issue?

###EDIT###
Just in case anyone is interested, the HF2-SU3S2 does indeed show the SMART status of all four drives over USB as well as eSATA. I am glad that this product works they way it is meant to, just wish MediaSonic would offer some sort of upgrade to the HF2-SU2S2 device owners that were not offered this feature...
Eldon.McGuinness

Return to 4 Bay USB 2.0 Enclosure