Can't boot from drives in ProBox? [SOLVED]

Support and Discussion for HF2-SU3S2 ProBox - For PC Users

Can't boot from drives in ProBox? [SOLVED]

Postby appleboxes » October 1st, 2014, 12:08 am

Hey guys,

I've got a Mediasonic ProBox with four drives plugged in, been using it for a couple of years and I LOVE it. Recently I tried to boot from my Time Machine backup (one of the drives in the ProBox), and it wouldn't boot. When I held Option to select a boot drive, the Time Machine drive didn't come up. That's strange, but I didn't think much of it.

Now, today, I installed the Yosemite GM beta (I'm an Apple developer and wanted to test out my apps). I chose an external drive to install it to - a drive in my ProBox. Once the install finished, I couldn't boot from it. Now this was getting strange.

I took the Yosemite drive out of the ProBox and put it into a VanTec single enclosure USB 3.0 bay. Time Machine appeared as a bootable drive and it loaded right up. Next, I tried the Yosemite drive in the VanTec, and that worked as well.

It seems, for some strange reason, that I cannot boot off of any drives in my ProBox. This is a major problem, because had my system crashed, and I didn't have the VanTec enclosure (which I happen to be borrowing), I would have no way to boot from my Time Machine drive and restore my system.

Is there a firmware update, or some setting on the ProBox I need to enable, to allow my Mac to boot off of a drive in the ProBox? I searched around and found others having the same issue, but wasn't able to find a solution.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks!
Last edited by appleboxes on October 1st, 2014, 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
appleboxes

Re: Can't boot from drives in ProBox?

Postby appleboxes » October 1st, 2014, 12:39 am

UPDATE

On a whim, I decided to try putting my Time Machine drive in the first bay of the ProBox. This solved the problem. I also tried to Yosemite drive and that worked too. So please disregard my last message, it appears you can boot from a drive in the ProBox. Maybe it says somewhere in the manual/website, but I sure couldn't find this info. Might be a good idea to make it clear to folks that only the first drive in the ProBox (in HD Bay #1) can be booted from.

At any rate, thanks for the great product and great service!
appleboxes

Return to HF2-SU3S2 Probox - For Mac Users