Already formatted Mac HardDrives will not work

Support and Discussion for HF2-SU3S2 ProBox - For PC Users

Already formatted Mac HardDrives will not work

Postby johntay555 » December 10th, 2014, 10:11 pm

So I have 6-8 external seagate hard drives. 2-3TB each in size. I have ripped them out of their external enclosures and put them in my brand new media sonic 4 bay pro box. My mac then ask me to format the hard drives. Why? They have already been formatted and have been working fine for me. So i decided to back up one and format it and it works fine in the media sonic 4bay pro box.... but when I take it out and try to use it in the old seagate enclosure then my system ask me format the hard drive. Why why why? We can be formatting drives in this box only to take them out and try with another machine and it asking to format again. Any help? Thank you.

John
CKProductions
johntay555

Re: Already formatted Mac HardDrives will not work

Postby smajor » December 11th, 2014, 4:08 pm

I had the opposite experience. I removed a couple of drives from my enclosures and they showed right up on my ProBox, no problem.

Is there anything "special" about your previous enclosures? Typically, I've found those with special features or buttons on the front to do things like "sync", "backup" or "encrypt" often format the drive in a way to take advantage of those.

Some Western Digital MyBook drives use AES encryption on the drive via hardware in the case for example.

The only way to move data in this case is via the original enclosures and copy to the drive(s) in the ProBox.

For what it's worth, the ProBox doesn't do any of these things which was a selling point for me.
smajor

Re: Already formatted Mac HardDrives will not work

Postby johntay555 » December 11th, 2014, 4:12 pm

THIS IS WHAT MEDIASONIC TOLD ME and it seemed to fix the issue.

Hi
Hard drive removed from External hard drive (seagate or WD) can not work outside its original case
it will not work with any other enclosure.
So yes you need to back up data and reformat inside the Mediasonic enclosure. Drives formatted from Mediasonic enclosure will work with any other enclosure
and inside a computer. but will not work if you put back to the Seagate original case. (is only these external hard drives do that, as they are not meant for you to take drive out)
if your drives were bare drives not from external drive, you wouldn't have this issue.

regards

Mediasonic RMA and Technical Support Department
johntay555

Return to HF2-SU3S2 Probox - For Mac Users