Change form RAID 3 to RAID 5

Support and Discussion for HF2-SU3S2 ProBox - For PC Users

Change form RAID 3 to RAID 5

Postby iiwii » December 24th, 2014, 5:52 pm

Hello, I used to have my HF2-SU3S2 set to RAID3 with three 1TB hard drives(5400 rpm). I picked up another 1TB hard drive, but it is 7200 rpms, the store did not have any more 5400 rpms. When I pop in the hard drive, held down mode and switched to RAID5 then held down the button in the back until the unit turned off. After I turned it back on the hard drive appeared but was only 2TB, I was under the impression RAID5 with four 1TB hard drives would be 3TB. I decided to try RAID0 (Striped) with all four hard drives and got 3TB. I was under the impression that if one hard drive has a high rpms it would just slow down and match the slowest one. Any advice?
I will continue doing tests and keep this post updated.
iiwii

Re: Change form RAID 3 to RAID 5

Postby iiwii » December 25th, 2014, 10:26 pm

So I figured out what the issue was. One of my HD had just failed :-(. It was weird that I did not get a red indication on the display but there was a red light that lite up inside the enclosure. I thought it might be a hard drive so I set it to RAID0 and removed one hard drive, I left the tray open and then a red light appeared on one of my other hard drive. I pulled that out and put it into another machine and in Disk Utility it said my hard drive was about to fail. I went out bought a new hard drive and now everything is good. I now have two 1TB 5400rpm hard drives and two 1TB 7200rpm hard drives set as RAID5 giving me a total of 3TB. I will probably go out and buy two more 1TB 7200rpm hard drives to replace the two 5400 rpms, they are on sale, I'm not sure if it is because it is the holidays, almost the end of the year or because now there are 4TB+ and 1TB is old :-o.
Happy holidays.
iiwii

Return to HF2-SU3S2 Probox - For Mac Users