Noisy Fan (New from box)

Support and Discussion for HF2-SU3S2 ProBox - For PC Users

Noisy Fan (New from box)

Postby silverdroid » January 4th, 2016, 12:08 pm

Just bought this yesterday and fan appears to be noisy, similar to what people in reviews complain about relatively frequently. It sounds like the fan is clunking / tapping into something. Any way to fix?
silverdroid

Re: Noisy Fan (New from box)

Postby walk0080 » January 19th, 2016, 3:52 pm

I replaced that stock POS fan with a new unit about a week after purchase.
walk0080

Postby silverdroid » February 2nd, 2016, 8:28 pm

They sent me a new fan, same problem. I don't think the fan itself is the problem, it's the case mounting that causes rattling.
silverdroid

Postby couzin2000 » February 8th, 2016, 6:21 pm

I have the same problem. Hooked up the unit to a Mac Mini, the Mini is pretty much noiseless, and this unit is very clunky in terms of noise.

Assuming that you can install rubber grommets on the HDs so to minimize noise from the disks to the max, I would love to change the fan in there. I'm looking at silent fans, but I need certain info to make an educated choice:
  • must the fan have a specific connector (molex, sata, etc.)?
  • does the fan have to be a variable speed resistor-controlled fan?
  • Will rubber grommets fit inside come installation time?
  • any recommended brand?
If anyone from Mediasonic support can answer this, it would be awesome to have this info out in public. Thanks!
couzin2000

Postby merosen » February 16th, 2016, 12:32 pm

Hi,
I took the fan out and it was dead quiet. It's the way it sits that rattles against the box.
I was thinking of putting rubber o rings between the fan and the case, cushioning the fan so the fan is not touching the back of the case.
I have 2 disks right now - the temperatures are the same as my other single bay non fan enclosure
I may leave the fan removed, but I'm concerned when I fill the box and it's summer, the temps of the disk may get up there.
On another note.
Now that I've taken the fan out, which way does it go back in --blowing into the box or away from the box?
merosen

Postby couzin2000 » February 16th, 2016, 3:18 pm

There are these rubber grommets they sell... They replace the screws that hold the fan in place. That's what really transmits vibrations to your case for sure. But I hadn't tested removing the fan altogether -- I appreciate you writing in about it, now I'll definitely put the grommets in place. What I also think is I'll possibly find some tight-knit metal mesh, install it on the interior disk door (it has these holes in it to let air come thru). That said, the fan blows outwards. Pulls the air in through the front panel, which you should be able to install the mesh in to protect the disk from dust accumulation and therefore overheating.
couzin2000

Postby merosen » February 21st, 2016, 11:09 am

I got four ½' diameter ⅛" thick "O" rings. (the diameter isn't imprtant, the thicknes is. There is no need to go any wider).The fan is resting on the four O rings. The way it's Insatlled it is so the back grill is not touching the box -- slight space between the grill and the box. I had to push down on the screws as I put them in. The O rings compress as you push down so the screws can catch the threads. I have the fan on low. I hear the fan -- but it only the fan. Not that awful rattle. fan still is loud. I"ve got a 2TB disk in the top slot and a I TB disk in the second slot. The front cover is on. I'm going to monitor the temps and see they are over the day. I usaully have music playing when I'm working, so I can barely hear it. When I get a chance I'll go to Micro Center and look for a fan. Hopefully I can find 80mm one with a 2 pin connector.
Last edited by merosen on February 21st, 2016, 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
merosen

Postby merosen » February 21st, 2016, 1:39 pm

After 2 hours the fan is giving me a head ache. No way of turning the fan off. Why did Mediasonic use a 2 pin fan connector which is non standard. 3 pin is standard. Can't find a third party fan. In all other aspects this is a great box. To bad poor fan design killed it.
Either RMAing or throwing out the window.
merosen

Postby couzin2000 » February 21st, 2016, 2:00 pm

Just left the computer store with an 80mm Noctua fan. Wrong size connector, and its got 3-pins. The micro connector is just impossible to find on any single 3rd party fan. BUT -- of the 3 wires on your fan, you only need the black and red. The yellow wire is only used to report the fan speed to a motherboard, but that's not used in this scenario. Just remove the 3-pin connector from the 3rd party fan, and connect the 2 wires to the 2-pin connector you'll remove from the stock fan. A little modding, but will work properly.
couzin2000

Postby merosen » February 21st, 2016, 2:16 pm

HI,
What model did you get. Do you have a model number?
merosen

Next

Return to HF2-SU3S2 Probox - For Mac Users