HFR7-SU3S2 vs HFR2-SU3S2

Support and Discussion for HFR2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users

HFR7-SU3S2 vs HFR2-SU3S2

Postby broderp » September 29th, 2017, 4:15 pm

I've searched this forum and received some answers but the topics are out dated.

From what I see here on the forum:
*The HF7 is a special version only sold on Newegg.
*The internals of both are identical (cosmetic differences only)

From what I see elsewhere:
* Amazon sells them (Sold by the Mediasonic Store and fulfilled by Amazon). I assume forum info is outdated?
* The manual (What I could find) for the HFR2 does not clearly say this device has SINGLE MODE. The manual for the HFR7 clearly shows this mode. This makes me question if they are the same internally.

I purchased the HFR7 over the HFR2 specifically for the SINGLE MODE option. The HFR7 does not get as high marks from reviewers on Amazon as the HFR2 and this concerns me. I also hear that the HFR7 can suffer from heat issues due to no ventilation in the front door.

Are they truly the same? Would the HFR2 been a better choice if it has SINGLE MODE? :?:

I'm new to RAID, and need a box that can do the SINGLE MODE to that I can install the 10-15 drives I have and remove any important files. I will then keep the larger/newer drives and reformat for RAID use.

Any help is appreciated.
broderp

Re: HFR7-SU3S2 vs HFR2-SU3S2

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » October 2nd, 2017, 6:58 pm

HFR2-SU3S2 Rev. 03 have single mode
stock on Amazon have Rev. 03 since 2016

both have same fan in the back
HFR2, front door have some opening for Convection air flow
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Re: HFR7-SU3S2 vs HFR2-SU3S2

Postby luger » April 6th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Admin_Mediasonic wrote:HFR2-SU3S2 Rev. 03 have single mode
stock on Amazon have Rev. 03 since 2016

both have same fan in the back
HFR2, front door have some opening for Convection air flow

In retrospect, I'd probably have bought the HFR2 over the HFR7, if I had known the front door on the HFR7 basically seals the box. Leaving it open, hard drive temps drop at least 15C, out of the red and into the green. I'm not seeing a graceful way to remove the door, and maybe slot or perforate it for ventilation. Any advice?

EDIT:

Getting the door off wasn't really graceful, had me sweating going off and then eventually back on, but it was worth it. Thumbs and fingers, and carefully bowed the door until the little hinge bumps could clear their sockets. FWIW, it is a (relatively) thick inner layer of (ABS?) plastic, a thin layer of aluminum shielding - what shows raised as PRORAID - and then a thin layer of the same black plastic on the outside. A friend has an old Bridgeport milling machine, put in a collet and 1/8 inch bit, and we cut 3 slots centered half an inch apart, staying away from the raised label by that much, and stopping an inch from each side. Actually looks pretty slick. Temps now rise about 10 to 12 C with the fan on normal, versus as much as 32 C before the surgery. I'd much rather have my drives at 40 C than 62 C - wouldn't you? Temps compliments of HD Sentinel...
luger

Return to HFR2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users