HFR7-SU3S2 - Rebuild Issues

Support and Discussion for HFR2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users

HFR7-SU3S2 - Rebuild Issues

Postby Mr. Furious » October 28th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Hello,

I have a HFR7-SU3S2 configured with four 8TB WD RED drives in a RAID-5 array. The array was humming along wonderfully, but then HDD1 failed. I removed the failed drive and put a new one in (same model), and the array appeared to begin to rebuild. I was able to access the data on the array mostly without issue both with just the three good drives in place and after I put the new drive in the HDD1 slot. But there were some speed issues, though I chalked that up to the drives being busy with the rebuild.

However, those speed issues got worse and worse, until, about 2 1/2 days into the rebuild, the drive was totally inaccessible. If I tried to open the DIsk Management MMC, it would hang, and if I tried to go into Windows Explorer, the same thing happened. Eventually, the rebuild seemed to stop, and the HDD3 error LED came on.

I powered down the enclosure, made sure all four drives were seated properly (they were), and powered it back on. The rebuild appeared to start again. The lights were in the following configuration:

On the front panel:
- HDD1 (drive that was replaced) LED is flashing red and purple
- HDD2 & HDD4 LEDs are solid purple
- HDD3 LED is blue but sometimes flashes purple to indicate activity
- Red "Error" LED is on
- Red "Rebuild LED is on

And inside the enclosure:
- Red LED next to HDD1 inside the enclosure is on

I installed the JMicron RAID manager software to check on progress, and it was still at 0% when I checked this morning, about 15 hours in. The lights were still in the same state.

My computer crashed while I was remoted into it around 7:30 this morning. When it came up, the drive didn't show up and JMicron said no enclosure was connected. I won't be able to check on it until I get home, but it's possible that the enclosure powered down while the computer was down. This is a very stable system, so I suspect that the issues with the array caused the crash.

Anyway, I guess I would like to know what my options are here, if any. Windows recognized that it was a 24TB RAID-5 array, and that it should be mounted as drive M:, but I couldn't access it. When I had to restart the rebuild yesterday, I tried accessing the array with just the three good drives in place, but that didn't work either.

The enclosure and drives are only about two months old.
Mr. Furious

Re: HFR7-SU3S2 - Rebuild Issues

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » October 28th, 2019, 12:45 pm

During rebuild you shouldn't have kept accessing the enclosure.
rebuild does take a long time.
since rebuild in finish, is the red LED beside HDD1, off now?
but now you have red LED beside HDD3?
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Furious » October 28th, 2019, 12:52 pm

I didn't realize I shouldn't have been accessing the array during rebuild... I guess I'm used to enterprise RAID where that isn't a problem other than increasing rebuild time.

I don't think the rebuild finished, since it had only been going for about 60 hours, which seems like only about half the time that would be necessary to rebuild 24TB if my math is right.

When the issue happened yesterday, there was no longer a red LED next to HDD1, but there was one next to HDD3. After I powered the enclosure back on (I powered it off to make sure the drives were all seated), it went back to the previous state, red LED next to HDD1 only and the lights in the state I listed in my original post. That's how it was when I left the house this morning, but I'm not sure if it's still like that now; I will be back home in about 2 1/2 hours to check.

I was definitely concerned, though, because the JMicron software said it was still at 0% rebuild progress after 15 hours of rebuilding.I should note that though the drive was connected to the system, the processes that access that volume were all shut off so there were no reads or writes hitting it.
Mr. Furious

Postby Mr. Furious » October 28th, 2019, 1:24 pm

I think that, ideally, what I'd like to be able to do at this point is get the array back to being accessible using the three original good disks (HDD2, HDD3, and HDD4) so I can back some data up, then start the rebuild process over. That way, I wouldn't need to access it at all during the rebuild process and it could just play out normally, no matter how long it takes.
Mr. Furious

Postby Mr. Furious » October 28th, 2019, 3:38 pm

I guess I'm hosed. HDD1 and HDD3 red LEDs are on, even though the stupid enclosure acts like it's rebuilding - the HDD1 front panel light is flashing red and purple, and the "rebuilding" LED is on.

I really hope that this rebuild eventually succeeds, because otherwise this is going to cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars, and months of work. I know, I know, "you should have backups," but the whole point in going RAID-5 was because I didn't have a way to adequately back up 24TB of data. Now I have to work from the drives I was using two months ago, one of which had about 3TB of data on it and is no longer accessible.

ETA: I'm giving it one last shot. I turned the enclosure off, removed all four drives, reinserted them to ensure they were seated properly, and put the metal cage back in. I had not been putting the cage back in previously, and while it would be weird for that to cause a problem, I'm willing to try anything.

JMicron Raid Manager (version 0.9.69) is still reporting 0% rebuild completion, but since the rebuild just restarted that's expected. I have the drive letter removed from the volume to ensure that there are no reads/writes to the disk.
Mr. Furious

Postby Mr. Furious » October 28th, 2019, 6:08 pm

I decided to just punt and recreate the array and restore what I had. Oh well, live and learn, I guess.
Mr. Furious

Postby Mr. Furious » October 28th, 2019, 7:37 pm

I guess I had two bad drives, which is INSANE.

To recap, HDD1 threw the red LED of doom, so I replaced it. Then, during the rebuild, apparently HDD3 bit the big one. The fact that the rebuild takes forever didn't help, obviously.

When I created the new array, HDD3 dropped out within an hour. Hard Disk Sentinel was reporting serious issues before that. I submitted an RMA to Western Digital, so when that drive comes in, I'll replace it as well and recreate the array; I'd only copied a little bit of data over, and it's going to take a hell of a lot less time to wait a week for the replacement to come in than wait who knows how long for a rebuild to complete.

I appreciate your replies and your kind assistance, both here and when I contacted you initially via email when the issue first occurred.
Mr. Furious

Return to HFR2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users