RAID 5 Performance Issues?

Support and Discussion for HFR2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users

RAID 5 Performance Issues?

Postby BICEPSUPREME » September 11th, 2015, 3:34 am

Hey All,

Relatively new to the Mediasonic family.

I've been testing my new ProRaid 4 Bay with 4x4TB Western Digital RE Enterprise Drives, and my Read/Write speeds have been absolutely horrible.

When benchmarking the Raid5, I'm getting R/W speeds of around 30MB/s. My internal SSD R/W's about 512MB/s.

Since I'm not very tech savvy (only enough to get me into trouble), could someone walk me through the process of setting this thing up to make sure there are no issues with the box?

I am using USB3.0 onto a USB3.0 port, and have installed the latest USB3.0 Drivers for my laptop (which is a Lenovo Y500).

Obviously I followed all the instructions setting up the RAID5, but what I noticed was strange is that the prompt to "Build" the Raid Array never prompted, and it immediately gave me access to the 12tb of space as one big E: drive (which I set it up to do).

Let me know if you have any pointers, or if there's something I seem to be missing.
BICEPSUPREME

Re: RAID 5 Performance Issues?

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » September 26th, 2015, 11:10 am

run a Speed test
https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1 ... ark-v2-46/

when you set the Raid 5 array, it won't prompt to "build"
but in disk management, you would have had to initialize disk and then format it
'
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Re: RAID 5 Performance Issues?

Postby orrelljet » November 2nd, 2017, 11:25 pm

Hi BICEPSUPREME,

Sorry to dig up an old thread...

Just wondering if you managed to improve your disk performance at all?

I've rebuilt my RAID 5 set (after backing up my data), cleared the drives (using DOS/diskpart) and rebuilt as a fresh RAID 5.

Didn't make a jot of difference.

I get sustained transfer rates (write) of around 30-35MBs yet ATTO bench seems to think my drives should hit 200MBs for write and almost 250MBs for read. The test files I've been using are all 3GB+ each (dvr-ms DVD backups).

Currently, I'm connected via USB 3.0; I prefer to use eSATA but wanted to rule out an issue with an add-on card.

Over eSATA, I see an initial write speed of almost 200MBs but this then drops quite quickly to a steady 25-28MBs; the USB may not be quick but it's at least quicker than that.

I've had my ProRAID for around 5-6 years now and speed didn't used to be a problem...not sure what's changed.

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro
CPU i7 4790T
16GB DDR3
ProRAID
4 x 3TB WD RED
USB 3.0 or eSATA

J.
orrelljet

Return to HFR2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users