Raid offline with error light. Need help

Support and Discussion for HFR2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users

Raid offline with error light. Need help

Postby elderbroom » February 4th, 2018, 4:17 pm

I have the RAID HFR2-SU3S2 ProRaid with 4 x 3TB Western Digital Green drives (yeah I know, green was likely a bad idea .. but fit the budget at the time) running in RAID 10 configuration.

Anyway this has been running for ~5 years without issue.

Today the RAID array completely went offline. I restarted it, and it won't come online. Then I restarted the PC (Windows 10) that it's attached to, and the enclosure again. Still it won't come online.

The Error light is now on solid red. I've never had any HDD indicator lights, not sure if it's an early unit of this model or what. So I had no idea which drive was bad. Luckily I was running the JMicron HW RAID Manager app.

It showed me 5 errors from earlier today :

DISK (WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0, WD-WMC1T0343328);2018/02/04 12:22:59;2;20;8;WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 (WD-WMC1T0343328);1;1;0

Shows in the UI as a PIO Write error. So I am just assuming that the second drive in the array died. So I went out to my local computer shop and picked up a WD 3TB Western Digital Red (as they don't sell Green, and I'd rather a better drive anyway)

Well I pop this in, and had expected to see the "Rebuild" light up. But it's still just at the "Error" light only. The light across the top of the enclosure has Drive 1 as solid blue, Drive 2 as flashing blue, Drive 3 as solid blue, and Drive 4 is completely off. (nothing pink/purple).

So I'm not sure if it's actually doing anything or not. I don't see the RAID array online per Windows 10. So my F: is completely missing. How can I check the status/progress of this ? and know it's actually working to resolve itself.

I'm kind of freaking out here, as I don't know how long to leave it for, and if it's actually doing anything. If this doesn't rebuild by tomorrow what are my best options to recover my data ?
elderbroom

Return to HFR2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users