Upgrading HDD size for larger limit in Raid 5?

Support and Discussion for HFR2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users

Upgrading HDD size for larger limit in Raid 5?

Postby Gordo74 » February 4th, 2015, 2:37 pm

Hi All,

I have had an HFR2-SU3S2 for a few years now and I love it! The problem is, I am starting to run in to issues with space. I originally decked it out with 4x 2TB Samsung drives, which gave me 6TB usable.

Now I see drives which are 4, 5, and 6TB that this supports natively! Happy day! But, using RAID 5, is it possible to take a disk out, put in, say a 4TB, wait for a rebuild, then move onto the next 2TB disk, do the same, wait for another rebuild, and continue until all disks are replaced with 4TB drives? Would that yield then 12TB usable space after the last 2TB disk is out of rotation? Or is the only way to upgrade the drives to buy a large 6TB HDD, copy all my data to that, then upgrade the drives, let the array build, and move the data back?

The second solution seems "simpler" for sure, but the first is more cost effective.

Looking forward to your response!

Thanks,
Gordo
Gordo74

Re: Upgrading HDD size for larger limit in Raid 5?

Postby Oo0_Bailey_0oO » March 2nd, 2015, 12:32 am

I have the same question, but I suspect the recommendation will be your latter option.
Oo0_Bailey_0oO

Re: Upgrading HDD size for larger limit in Raid 5?

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » March 17th, 2015, 2:37 pm

You will have to back up the data
and set up new Raid 5 with new size drives
then copy data back
if you let it rebuild using new drive size, it will just write to same size as other, i.e. 6TB will be only 2TB
so space is wasted
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Return to HFR2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For Mac Users