HDD ERROR HDD 2LIGHT LIT

Support and Discussion for HFR2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users

HDD ERROR HDD 2LIGHT LIT

Postby RVT » January 24th, 2016, 5:11 pm

I am running raid 5 set up by apple reseller. but notice I have 3 of the 4 drive 2 Tb each running effectively.

1) I have seen error light recently and considering upgrading from 2009 iMac shortly to a much newer faster one so want to correct this first before i consider what to do on next set up.

with the error light on does that mean the second drive is dead, or can i test it to see if i can correct it before i replace the 2Tb Seagate Barracuda drive.

2) And once i fix it or replace drive, once I get a new iMac do I have to start from scratch. I currently also back all the data to the time capsule as a second backup so already am mirror the RAD 5 data and applications?
RVT

Re: HDD ERROR HDD 2LIGHT LIT

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » January 30th, 2016, 12:30 am

with one drive bad
can you still access your raid 5 array now?
if you can simply replace the bad drive and let it rebuild
rebuild will take many hours.
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Postby RVT » February 20th, 2016, 1:09 am

Thanks that worked. New issue is I have a new IMAC 27" and now option is to use USB3 instead of previous firewire. Problem is it keeps dropping this model intermittently very quickly not allowing after initial back up time machine to keep it up to date. Not sure what to do to correct this. Worked fine on 2009 IMAC.
RVT

Postby RVT » February 22nd, 2016, 2:44 pm

I got to point where i had an Apple authorized reseller replace the drive, they built this raid 5 for me. We set it up on the latest iMac 27" i7 32 gig ram setup. I changed the energy savings settings to reflect the forums updates on preventing the computer from sleeping etc. However after it did spot the Mediasonic unit I started receiving new errors such as drive is read only and then after a day or so its not seeing it again I have switched USB3 cable to ensure I eliminate everything. but keep getting the OS X can 't repair the disk "Raid 5 HD" and its read only and Disk Utility can't repair. yet there are no issues with my drives on the 4 x @ terabyte drives the worked on the initial raid set up.
RVT

Postby RVT » February 27th, 2016, 2:05 am

Resolved. Did a couple of things. I removed McAfee security for Mac, ran a freeware malware removal to ensure also I removed McAfee completely and found one malware -- Tostitek, likely due to running McAfee on bran new iMac. I reinstalled the OS with Control R on start up of the iMac.

And once that was done the read only disk error was still there. So i used disk utility and erased the 4 x 2 Terabyte Raid 5 after I had set the energy savings as recommended. I no longer had the read only disk error preventing the Mediasonic uint from backing up in Time Machine.

I did a clean back up and all is golden now.
RVT

Return to HFR2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For Mac Users