Failed Drive - Raid 10 - Recovery Procedures

Support and Discussion for H8R2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users

Failed Drive - Raid 10 - Recovery Procedures

Postby johnp87 » August 10th, 2016, 5:15 pm

I recently relocated, and after unpacking my RAID tower, I discovered that I cannot open most files stored on one of the two arrays (I have two, 4 disk RAID 10 arrays). I can see all of the files, but when I attempt to open anything larger than a few kb, the operation fails with an error.

In terms of what the indicators are showing, I have one drive in the enclosure (the lowest slot in the box) that is showing a red light. At the top, the red error light is lit up. The rebuilding light is not lit.

I do have a spare 2TB drive that I could swap into the array, which would match the drive I'm pulling in terms of capacity.

My concern, of course, is that I want to be sure to go through the swapping procedure in a way that preserves my data. My understanding is that I should be able to simply power down the unit, remove the failed drive, install the working drive, and power the unit back on, at which point the array will rebuild itself. Can anyone please confirm that this is the correct procedure?

Thanks in advance!!
johnp87

Re: Failed Drive - Raid 10 - Recovery Procedures

Postby tbrand68 » August 15th, 2016, 8:46 am

I've not had to do a replacement in this unit, but I have many RAID 10 configurations in other systems and when a drive fails, I can take the drive out put another drive in (same model number) and it will begin to rebuild on its own. There is software included with this until that lets you see what is "going" on. It's available in at the beginning of this form, it's called the jMicron RAID hardware manager. You could install that software and see what it's showing you. The display panel on the front of these units are pretty basic and sometimes leaves me with a sense of "hummm, what's really going on in there".
Tim
tbrand68

Re: Failed Drive - Raid 10 - Recovery Procedures

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » August 19th, 2016, 10:16 pm

johnp87 wrote:I recently relocated, and after unpacking my RAID tower, I discovered that I cannot open most files stored on one of the two arrays (I have two, 4 disk RAID 10 arrays). I can see all of the files, but when I attempt to open anything larger than a few kb, the operation fails with an error.

In terms of what the indicators are showing, I have one drive in the enclosure (the lowest slot in the box) that is showing a red light. At the top, the red error light is lit up. The rebuilding light is not lit.

I do have a spare 2TB drive that I could swap into the array, which would match the drive I'm pulling in terms of capacity.

My concern, of course, is that I want to be sure to go through the swapping procedure in a way that preserves my data. My understanding is that I should be able to simply power down the unit, remove the failed drive, install the working drive, and power the unit back on, at which point the array will rebuild itself. Can anyone please confirm that this is the correct procedure?

Thanks in advance!!

correct, remove bad drive, put new drive in and let it rebuild
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Return to H8R2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users