Failed Raid 50

Support and Discussion for H8R2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users

Failed Raid 50

Postby gaylordt » October 12th, 2016, 9:59 am

I have the 8-bay ProRaid (actually have 4 of them) and the other day it stopped working, all the drive indicator lights (thin blue line above drives) went out and the xH light came on.

Tried power cycling the enclosure, all lights came on, the drives were accessed, error light for slot 1 came on then went off and back to the xH light.

So I swapped slot 1 out with a spare drive (same make and model) expecting a rebuild and nothing happened. Power cycled everything and the same, just xH lit.

So I took the drive out 1 by 1 and checked the S.M.A.R.T. status. Turns out that slot 2 is in a pre-fail state. So swapped it with a spare, power cycled and same thing. Slot 1 error lite comes on before ending with the xH lite only.

My thought is that slot 1 (with the error lite) drive is fine as tested by S.M.A.R.T. settings but the slot is bad.

So my question is. Can I order a new 8-bay enclosure and put all the drives in and still have my data? What steps would I need to do to "pre-configure" the enclosure for Raid-50 before inserting the drives.

I really don't want to lose my data and none of the manuals or threads on this site have any information on moving drive to another enclosure and keeping the data in-tact.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
gaylordt

Re: Failed Raid 50

Postby jason67 » October 20th, 2016, 2:25 am

I just swapped an existing set of drives in Raid 50 to another enclosure set for the same Raid 50 and it worked without an issue.
jason67

Return to H8R2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users