4TB to 8TB Drive Upgrade

Support and Discussion for H8R2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users

4TB to 8TB Drive Upgrade

Postby aristoblis » August 19th, 2017, 6:44 pm

I have the Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2 8 -bay enclosure populated with 8x 4TB drive running in a RAID 50 configuration. Everything is working great, but I would like to, at some point, upgrade to 8TB drives. Is there a way to replace the 4TB drives in this array with 8TB drives without breaking my array and losing my data? Like, if I were to replace a single drive at a time, let it replicate, rinse and repeat until all 8 drives are replaced, will it 1) retain the data and array integrity, and 2) see and be able to use the increase size capacity?
aristoblis

Re: 4TB to 8TB Drive Upgrade

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » August 30th, 2017, 1:14 pm

aristoblis wrote:I have the Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2 8 -bay enclosure populated with 8x 4TB drive running in a RAID 50 configuration. Everything is working great, but I would like to, at some point, upgrade to 8TB drives. Is there a way to replace the 4TB drives in this array with 8TB drives without breaking my array and losing my data? Like, if I were to replace a single drive at a time, let it replicate, rinse and repeat until all 8 drives are replaced, will it 1) retain the data and array integrity, and 2) see and be able to use the increase size capacity?

No, the idea you mention will not work. 8TB drives will be rebuild in to 4TB
You have to back up all data and create a new Raid 50 with new drives and then copy data back

However is your 8 Bay Proraid Revision 3?? if it is, you need to update firmware to support 8 TB drives.
if you have Rev. 02 or no Rev. #. Then it will support up to 6TB drives only
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Return to H8R2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users