Disks with Mixed Sizes? Anyone know? Please help!

Support and Discussion for H8R2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users

Disks with Mixed Sizes? Anyone know? Please help!

Postby Crow » April 29th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Hi guys

I don't expect I'll see Mediasonic 'round these parts - but I'm hoping someone in our little community might know the answer: can I use drives with different sizes in RAID 50?

I've got five 4TB drives, and three 3TB drives. I had thought that I could use them as usual and end up with an array of 3TB per drive. It hasn't worked at all for me. They are all WD Red drives, but I was hoping that I could use 4TB drives as 3TB replacements - until I was able to get three more 4TB disks to build a new, bigger array.

Any thoughts / ideas / suggestions? Am I out of luck with RAID 50? It looked like it was working for 2x10.

Thanks to anyone who can help! ;)
Crow

Re: Disks with Mixed Sizes? Anyone know? Please help!

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » May 4th, 2015, 2:49 pm

Using drive of different size and model is asking for trouble
Raid works best with drives of same brand and model.
and for Raid 50, since is stripping of 2 x Raid 5
you should use drives rated for Raid 5

if you mix 4TB with 3TB, then in Raid 50 drives are created based on the smallest drive
so it would be 7 x 3TB . the 4TB are set to 3TB , so you loose 1TB on each 4TB
same for Raid 2 x Raid 5, 2 x Raid 10. Raid 0

if you want to use these 4TB and 3TB, you can use Raid SPN+
which will combine all drives. But there is not redundancy
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Postby lodup29 » July 6th, 2016, 8:19 pm

I'm not fully "raid fluent" but I've been told that Raid-50 would be 2 arrays of 4 drives configured as raid-5 and that the resulting 2 arrays a recombined as raid-0. Is is relevant to have all 8 drives identical or only those part of the same raid-5 array? At one point a drive might fail and an identical replacement might not be available. What should we look for when choosing a replacement? Thanks.
lodup29

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » July 31st, 2017, 10:52 am

lodup29 wrote:I'm not fully "raid fluent" but I've been told that Raid-50 would be 2 arrays of 4 drives configured as raid-5 and that the resulting 2 arrays a recombined as raid-0. Is is relevant to have all 8 drives identical or only those part of the same raid-5 array? At one point a drive might fail and an identical replacement might not be available. What should we look for when choosing a replacement? Thanks.

Yes All 8 drives have to be of same model and brand, also get drives rated for Raid 5. i.e. enterprise drives
for replacement, if same drive model is not available, get the same spec replacement as close as possible
i.e. If your current drives are 5400RPM don't replace with 72000 RPM
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Return to H8R2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For Mac Users