HF2 on Windows 10 disconnecting and reconnecting rapidly

Support and Discussion for HF2-SU31C / HF7-SU31C - For PC Users

HF2 on Windows 10 disconnecting and reconnecting rapidly

Postby wpostma » February 13th, 2018, 1:34 pm

I have an HF2 quad-disk usb 3.x external drive box, attached to a Dell Precision T7610 workstation class PC (dual quad Xeon CPU). It has both USB 2 and USB 3 ports.

When attached to Windows 10, Version 1709, build 16299.214, the device frequently goes to sleep, or else it disconnects and reconnects. WHen it disconnects and reconnects, you can see it's like someone is unplugging and replugging the device from the matchine. I have tried different ports, and a different USB cable, and none of these ports have any problem maintaining connection to any other device. Only the mediasonic device is having trouble.

I am thinking I will buy a PCI express USB 3 card and see if that port is more stable, as well, I am thinking I will get a PCI Express esata controller so that I can find a stable way to use this device. I have read online that various bugs have existed in various builds of Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 that cause behaviour like this. Is this a windows bug? A hardware bug? A configuration issue? How do I troubleshoot?

At first it was just going to sleep (yesterday). Today I have just powered the box off and disconnected, and have given up trying to get it to work.

There are no errors in the Operational logging (eventvwr.msc -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> DriverFrameworks-UserMode -> Operational ) but the non error status for new drive connection are repeating about every 60 seconds. I have 2 of 4 bays filled, and there are about 4 partitions on the 2 drives, so there are 4-5 drive letters continuously being added and removed from Windows, so fast you can't keep up with it.

Re: HF2 on Windows 10 disconnecting and reconnecting rapidly

Postby dmd76 » March 23rd, 2018, 3:32 pm

I have a similar issue with the HF2-SU31C on Windows 10 (64-bit, Version 10.0.16299.309) . It sounds like it is continuously trying to read from the drives every 2 seconds. The HDDs never appear under Disk Manager. The same HDDs appear without a problem using a different enclosure. I've tried using a known-good, single drive in the HF2, going from the top to bottom drive bay, and the same problem persists. When I open the Device Manager, it refreshes ever few seconds.

Return to HF2-SU31C / HF7-SU31C - For PC Users