- I tried connecting it directly to my Dell T3500 eSATA port. But it would not recognize any drives. I updated the BIOS and O/S drivers and then it was able to recognize one drive. So far as I can tell the Dell T3500 hardware supports eSATA port multiplexing, but the Dell BIOS/drivers do not. I tried contacting Dell technical support, but they have no idea what I am talking about.
- I connected it to the USB 2.0 port on my Dell T3500, and it can see all 8 drives, but Windows 7 cannot do software RAID via USB.
- I tried ordering the Highpoint ROCKETU 1144AR, but it does not appear this product ever went into production as three different suppliers who had it on their price list were unable to obtain it. Now it is not even listed on the Highpoint web site.
- I purchased the Highpoint ROCKETU 1144A (no RAID). This works well with Windows 8 which is able to put USB devices into RAID via the new Storage Pools feature. However, this does not solve my problem for Windows 7
- I purchased the Highpoint Rocket RAID 644. Sadly this can only support 5 drives over a single eSATA connection.