Full video does not play on other devices

Support and Discussion for Homeworx HW-150PVR

Full video does not play on other devices

Postby spduyck » February 22nd, 2017, 8:40 am

I recorded one hour of video onto a usb drive, and the full video plays normally through the hw-150pvr. When I put the usb drive into my computer or dvd player, it only plays the first 6 minutes of the video. When I look on the usb drive, I can see that the video has been broken up into 6 minute files, and only the first file has an .mts extension and is recognized by my computer.

How do I get the full video to play on other devices?

I set up the USB drive for FAT32, if that matters.
spduyck

Re: Full video does not play on other devices

Postby antineutron » February 22nd, 2017, 10:04 am

When recording to FAT drives, the video stream is broken into .5 gig segments with numbers on the file extension (.mts, .mts1, .mts2, .mts3, etc.).

On the pvr, only the first file (without the numbers) is visible, but all will need to be played.

With NTFS formatted drives, a single massive file is recorded and that should play on your other devices if they can read that format and access files larger than 1 gig.

Search this forum for advice on splicing the files together, renaming extensions, or changing your computer so it recognizes the numbers on the extension. Each approach has merits and drawbacks.
antineutron

Postby spduyck » February 22nd, 2017, 10:13 am

Thanks. I'll try it.
spduyck

Postby spduyck » April 5th, 2017, 9:34 am

I switched to NTFS, and it recorded for the whole hour in one file, but the video cuts out and skips ahead every couple of minutes. I tried playing it back on several devices, including the mediasonic player, and the video is not there. Any advice?

If not, I'll go back to FAT and figure out how to stitch those together.

Thanks.
spduyck

Postby eherberg » April 8th, 2017, 10:05 am

If this is a flash drive - they are not recommended to be used as their write speed is usually not fast enough to keep up with the whole recording. For more reliable use, get a portable hard drive, preferably under 1 TB to keep responsiveness at an expected level. I use a 320 GB drive to get responsiveness that is near to what I got from a flash drive. You may also want to use a powered hub to provide power to the drive so you don't burn out the box, given the meager power provided through the usb port. I use a simple Amazon Basics hub to provide power to the drive.
eherberg

Postby elkster » November 15th, 2017, 7:04 am

When i was testing a usb stick,not sure if it was 2.0 or 3.0. however after reading the forum here i guess its that old not enuf voltage to run the usb stick 100%,i have a 4 bay mediasonic unit,so i guess i will try that with just one hd in it,i keep 4 hds in it..for mass storage for the pc...for someone elses info,i am sure i tested the usb stick with the gittery video on the i7 and the files were playable,dont tecall the format,but with any new video program like nero etc etc..u can convert files i to whatever format u want..i willget back in and let yas know if my model 150 works with my self powered hd setup..
elkster

Postby luv2rallye » November 23rd, 2017, 8:10 pm

Two things I've noticed:
1) Use NTFS format since FAT32 only supports up to 4GB and nearly all shows longer than 1 hour exceed that (in 1080i resolution which most now are). If you use FAT32 it will make multiple files (and only the first has the mts extension) which my Blu-ray can't handle. I don't want to have to spend time "doctoring up" and stitching files together on my computer when I record nearly every day. Using NTFS generates 1 large file which already works fine.

2) THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! If you're using a USB flash drive it MUST have a write speed fast enough (when writing it from the HW-150PVR) or you will experience all kinds of problems on a play back device that is not the HW-150PVR (eg. I use the Blu-ray). I've found that nearly all USB 2.0 flash drives don't have a fast enough write speed and even most 3.0 are not fast enough (thus Mediasonic's recommendation to use a USB hard drive). Through personal testing I've found that using flash drives with a write speed greater than 7.3 MB/S seem to work. I use USBDeview Speed Test to determine the flash's write speed. I've had luck with SanDisk USB 3.0 flash drives being fast enough. Six other brands I've tryed all were too slow (and I tryed many of each) and all had problems playing on my Blu-ray player.
luv2rallye

Postby eherberg » November 24th, 2017, 2:48 pm

I (and others on AVS Forum) have also had positive results with Sandisk Ultra 3.0 drives. The info about the 7.3 MB/s write speed is good info and if you would, should be posted over at AVS Forum also as an aid to others.
eherberg

Return to Homeworx HW-150PVR, PVR ATSC TV Tuner and USB Media Player