Closed Captioning on V3

Support and Discussion for Homeworx HW-150PVR

Closed Captioning on V3

Postby SupremeC » December 28th, 2014, 10:34 pm

Here is a new issue for me. A friend of mine lent me a USB flash drive with a few seasons of a TV show in .mkv format, and when playing the recordings on our V3, the closed captioning box pops up. Oddly enough, it does not happen on my V2. Any ever experience this?
Last edited by SupremeC on December 29th, 2014, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SupremeC

Re: Closed Captioning on V3

Postby joecr » December 29th, 2014, 11:16 am

All I was able to understand was a friend sent you some .mkv files with a subtitle stream in them. The rest was too vague to be sure what you meant.

Are the two V3s the same box, but recordings from different sources?

Are the two V3s different boxes, & trying to play back the same mkv files?

Or is it something entirely different & I just don't understand what you have tried to say?
joecr

Postby SupremeC » December 29th, 2014, 6:01 pm

joecr wrote:All I was able to understand was a friend sent you some .mkv files with a subtitle stream in them. The rest was too vague to be sure what you meant.

Nope. Never said there was a subtitle stream. What I did say is I was lent a few seasons of a TV show in .mkv format [the recordings are on one of his large capacity USB flash drives]. When playing the recordings on our V3, the closed captioning box pops up. However, the closed captioning box does NOT pop up when playing the same recordings on my V2. Closed captioning is OFF on both boxes.

So the question is, why would closed captioning be ON when playing an .mkv file on the V3, but not the V2?

joecr wrote:Are the two V3s the same box, but recordings from different sources?

Are the two V3s different boxes, & trying to play back the same mkv files?

Oops! :shock:

Was not sure why you thought both were V3's until I re-read my original comment [which I just edited]. To clarify, only one is a V3.

Note: 1.) My friend does NOT use closed captioning, so that won't explain why its on, 2.) ATSC (or VBI) closed captioning, if available for the program, would be "imbedded" in the recording. However, you should only see closed captioning if you have closed captioning set to ON in the HW-150PVR settings, and 3.) I converted one of the files to .mpg and it played on the V3 fine -- no closed captioning.

I have played .m2ts, .avi and .mpg on the V3 without issue. What I am getting at is, its clear the V3 does not respect the closed captioning setting when playing certain file formats [in this case .mkv].

SupremeC

Postby joecr » December 30th, 2014, 10:57 am

When you said the mkv files play back subtitles indicates more likely a stream of soft subs or less likely a second video stream with hard subs.

Since I don't have a v3 I can't test to see if that is the way the new hardware works.
joecr

Postby SupremeC » December 30th, 2014, 4:49 pm

joecr wrote:When you said the mkv files play back subtitles indicates more likely a stream of soft subs or less likely a second video stream with hard subs.

All I can tell you is the .mkv files contain closed captioning. I know because I looked.

joecr wrote:Since I don't have a v3 I can't test to see if that is the way the new hardware works.

I suppose I could waste a lot of time either removing the subtitles or converting the files, but I'll chop it up to another Mediasonic HW-150PVR flub. I just wish that they'd get their crap together.
SupremeC

Postby offroad » June 15th, 2019, 9:01 am

old thread, but where is the CLOSED CAPTION setting to turn it on? cant seem to find that is settings.
offroad

Return to Homeworx HW-150PVR, PVR ATSC TV Tuner and USB Media Player