Homeworx HW-150PVR loses programming

Support and Discussion for Homeworx HW-150PVR

Re: Homeworx HW-150PVR loses programming

Postby dave2x » March 12th, 2015, 4:41 pm

ION/PAX has been losing recording schedules. I believe it is because ION has a couple unusual characteristics. One, it has a tendency to cause the tuner in the unit to rescan for the station a second or so after it has already begun to show it. Two, it broadcasts a very large amount of EPG data which I think interferes with the channel info acquisition running in the background. I am assuming the info for the recording schedule is refreshed at intervals and ION doesn't deliver the info as required by the PVR.
dave2x

Postby KenC » April 16th, 2015, 4:35 pm

I have been using a unit since July of 2014 ( ~ 9 months), and a second one since Jan 2015 (~ 3.5 months) and never had the box lose the scheduled recording list ('Timer', 'Book-List')... until the past few weeks :(

Both boxes lost their lists. I reprogrammed them, and they were gone again a few days later. The first time, they were entirely blank. The second time, my channel 7.1 entries were gone, my 11.x entries had corrupt channel numbers and could not be edited, the third time CH 7.1 gone, 11.x OK.

I would typically put the box in standby with the remote after watching. I tried leaving it on after the first loss, but it happened after that as well.

Some here suspect the clock signal from some stations? And some people have had luck with setting the unit to a specific 'known good/better' channel before/after recording (program a 'view' into the schedule). I'll try that, but what station to use?

Does anyone know which is the best station in the Chicago area for a solid clock? I'm currently only scheduling repeat recordings for CH 7.1 and 11.x (all the subs have the same clock as far as I can tell).

Frustrating, because the box does such a great job of recording - I like that there is no compression. The UI is frustratingly poor, but once you get used to it you can manage. But losing the schedule is not something I can tolerate.

If this isn't solved, I either bite the bullet and get a computer and Silicon Dust set up or something. One project I may consider - use an old android phone/tablet with an IR transmitter, and write a little script triggered by a calender app to simulate ON..wait..CHXX.X..wait..RECORD.. to start a show, and a similar entry to end it. Seems like a long way around, but I bet it would work.

-KenC
KenC

Postby KenC » May 12th, 2015, 9:52 am

UPDATE:

I have not really made any changes since my last post, and I have not lost any programming. I have a theory though, totally unproven:

My wife has become more familiar with this box (she used to always let me run the thing), and one day I noticed, she put it in STANDBY while it was still in the USB menu. Hmmm, I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure I routinely exited that menu, and returned to the show that was playing on whatever channel the tuner had been set to, before I went to STANDBY (or just left it ON).

So I'm wondering - could leaving it sitting at a menu have some affect? Maybe it can't read the station clock reliably in this mode when it wakes up? So I've tried to be careful again and return to the station before going to standby. Could just be co-incidence, hard to tell with something that is so intermittent for me.

Also, to make life simpler if it does lose programming, I just went back to entering DAILY for my M-F recordings. A bit of a pain to have Sat/Sun recorded and possible conflicts, but that was 15 entries versus 3. I don't think that had any effect on the lost programs, but then again - who knows? Maybe more entries means more chance for a glitch?

Anyhow, it would be great to get some feedback from people who are having this problem more consistently. Would getting off the menu help? Would a simpler recording schedule be more reliable?

While I really wish they would fix these bugs and improve the UI, at this price buying 2 or 3 boxes to keep the recording list simpler, and avoiding conflicts between w/e and weekday could be worth it.

-KenC
KenC

Postby ColdCase » May 12th, 2015, 5:30 pm

I have had three units, two over a year old, the so called V1, one a month old, the so called V2.

The V1s loose programming maybe once a month, more often when the leaves are out, less often in the winter. They will more often stop recording until power cycled. I haven't seen this behavior with the V2, but then it doesn't bother trying to receive marginal stations either.

The V1s only seem to loose programming when tuned to or recording a show from marginal signal quality stations or there are signal drop outs from a high quality signal station. If you happen to catch it in time, there will be a display note saying something like "signal was lost, do you want to continue recording". It just sits there and waits for operator input. If you don't catch it in time, the note is gone and sometimes the schedules and station data.

There is probably a memory buffer overrun issue with the firmware. There is a limited amount of memory that is allocated to functions with apparently no protection function. So the data reception function overwrites the station listing or schedule memory locations under some conditions. When this happens, the station list/schedule looks like random characters to the function that uses them. The results are pretty much unpredictable.

Since I stopped trying to record signals from marginal stations and try to leave the V1 units tuned to a good quality local... the misbehaviors have been dramatically reduced. You may be seeing something else or have run across another so called buffer overrun, or it just may be me.... :).
ColdCase

Postby dave2x » May 15th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Mine only loses programming on ION station, qubo, so far as I've noticed. If stations change any of the settings that are stored with your set channels, it will mess up or delete any record programming for those stations, as the record programming is scanned in the background whenever the unit is powered on and those stations with anomalous behavior or are weak will result in deletion of pertinent record programming info.
dave2x

Postby threepwood » December 5th, 2015, 11:53 am

I'm considering buying one again, does anyone know if this disappearing programming issue has been resolved?
threepwood

Postby harrykid » January 15th, 2016, 6:14 pm

damn this forum is a pain in the arse to join how should I know about usb enclosures? I came here to suggest a solution for a pvr!!! anyways sorry if this has been posted here already but this is how I fixed the box forgetting what channel I set recordings for.
Just change the channels name to something completely different. For example I was having trouble with my nightly recording of King of the Hill on KDOC-TV so I changed the channel name to simply ABC and it now works night after night. I think it took my a couple tries to get it to remember ABC instead of KDOC. I've had the older phat model for almost 2 years now and it really has changed my life before this I was using a converter box with the power button clamped down connected to a christmas light timer and a vcr. Before I discovered this trick I bought the slim model and as soon as I am a KDOC recording it did the same thing

Another update: The name change trick finally stopped working after a month or two. For a few months I just quit using it then recently I switch from a USB HDD to a small flash drive and it works again. If you think about it you might as well just stick with a small flash drive. Get a big drive and you'll end up recording stuff you'll never end up watching.
harrykid

Postby dougrun » June 11th, 2016, 4:40 pm

I've owned mine for about 8 months and it's starting to lose the channel fixes. I can rescan and it picks them up again but i lose my scheduled timer entries. Doesnt make sense and the channels it loses are strong channels, towers nearby. Version Apr 24 2015 16.33.56-V4.1 HW: MLG7819-ATSC-V4
dougrun

Postby cf77 » October 11th, 2016, 9:53 pm

Just got mine pvr150..the name and programming just kept disappeared...
Yes, it seems homework deterring user to join with question no body know.

I renamed the channels..in the middle of up and down channel surfing,. The name lost..back to its name and the order was reset as well...
cf77

Previous

Return to Homeworx HW-150PVR, PVR ATSC TV Tuner and USB Media Player