Info Display Keeps Popping Up

Support and Discussion for Homeworx HW-150PVR

Info Display Keeps Popping Up

Postby MikeS » November 9th, 2014, 2:23 pm

I've browsed the forum a few pages back today & believe I did a search for the issue some time ago with no joy.

Very annoying, the 1st level "INFO" display (Channel # top right & a pane bottom center with Channel # station, time, progress bar, next 2 programs & times), pops up randomly on the screen. Occasionally the screen briefly goes blank & audio is lost. The progress bar always shows various numbers of monochrome dots & when they finally fill the bar, it starts another cycle. Most of the time I can get rid of the INFO quickly by using the EXIT button on the remote, but occasionally it stays on screen despite continuous pushes of EXIT. Therefore, when watching TV, I need to sit there with the remote in my hand, ready to push the EXIT button to get the unwanted INFO off the screen. If I don't push EXIT, the information stays on the screen a random amount of time. Pop ups sometimes occur every few seconds, grrr.

The information that pops up is normally displayed when pushing the INFO button once on the remote & generally disappears on its own after a few seconds. Pushing the INFO button twice, brings up the large pane with more information including channel Frequency, Bandwidth, current program, Quality progress bar & remote actions. The larger INFO screen needs to be cancelled by either pressing the EXIT or INFO button a third time, normal operation as far as I know.

I'm using an amplified indoor antenna and the Quality progress bar on the large INFO screen is one blue dot short of 100%, so I doubt it's an issue with signal quality. The transmitter fairly close on a hill & I can see it from my home.

Any ideas? As far as I know my firmware is up to date, unit is a few months old. Cancelled my cable to enjoy free OA programming with this hardware, but these pop ups of the INFO are getting annoying to the point where I'm about to turf the thing & look for a Channel Master or just splurge for a newer television with ATSC tuner built in!

SW Version CL630133 130807 V13
HW Version 7816-ATSC-03
MikeS

Re: Info Display Keeps Popping Up

Postby joecr » November 10th, 2014, 1:06 pm

If you are close enough to actually see the broadcast antenna, you may try eliminating the amplifier. That's the only thing I can think of with the info you provided.

You can use the following URL to be sure those are TV antennas & not radio.

https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
joecr

Postby MikeS » November 11th, 2014, 2:30 am

Thanks for the reply & info. I checked out the TV fool site some time ago before purchasing the tuner. The amplified antenna I'm using is simply a set of rabbit ears which include a round antenna and a small power supply to run the built in amplifier. If I turn the power off to the antenna amplifier, I lose reception. I've purchased a larger antenna for mounting outside, but haven't set it up yet. Seems like a HomeWorX software glitch to me.
MikeS

Postby joecr » November 11th, 2014, 4:04 pm

I only mentioned that because I've seen signal issues cause weird issues. I wasn't sure what caused you issues though.
joecr

Postby MikeS » December 6th, 2014, 2:04 pm

So I completely lost reception for about a week recently. I was unable to tune any channels. Got everything back last week so I assume the transmitter was down. The lone transmitter here in Vernon broadcasts only 4 channels, 2 HD & 2 SD. All have the same programming (Global owned by Shaw) which really sucks. You'd think the CBC would step up & provide some Canadian programming to our small community!

In any case, I still have the same issue with the "Info" bar randomly & rather often, popping up on the screen in the middle of any & all TV programming. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Is it software as I suspect? Any Mediasonic techs check this forum & care to comment?
MikeS

Postby MikeS » May 8th, 2015, 11:27 am

A week or so ago both my Samsung home theater/disc player & HomeWorx box ceased working. Not sure if a brief power outage a few days before contributed to the issue, might have been a surge, but everything was turned off at the time of the outage. No other electronics in the house appear to have been damaged. When I powered up the home theater it gave me a "Protection" message on the receiver/player screen & shut down. Research indicates this is not that uncommon & is usually a bad speaker, speaker connection, or a problem with the audio amplifier in the unit. Speakers are ok so I suspect the Samsung is toast, since repair would cost more than it's worth. Have had the system for more than 5 years, so reckon I got my money's worth out of it.

As for the HomeWorx box, in addition to not ever getting the info pop up issue solved, it no longer produces a proper picture on the TV. Finally fed up with all this & TV being 10 year old 1st generation flat panel without ATSC tuner, I bit the bullet & purchased new Samsung TV with ATSC/QAM tuner built in & a new Yamaha AV receiver/Klipsch speaker package. Big hit on the credit card but everything works great including the ATSC tuner. No "info pop ups" as on the HomeWorx. The only feature missing is the ability to record programs (PVR), not a big deal with me. The HomeWorx was a month over the 1 year warranty, so it's now basically a book end. Would be nice to get working again so I could use it in another room with the old TV, but after opening it up, no obvious signs of cooked components & not worth pursuing repair.

In summary, my experience, I got just over a year of use out of it, annoying issue never solved for about $80 with taxes. Saved more than that by cutting the Shaw cable, but limited programming available OTA here negates some of that monetary gain. With most new TVs being sold in the Canadian market having a built in ATSC tuner now, I can't see many folks bothering to buying a HomeWorx and the support for this product (such as it is) will likely cease in fairly short order.
MikeS

Postby padgett » May 9th, 2015, 9:50 am

Understand your thinking but there is a market, just a different one. I had a small RV for years before buying my larger hard sided retractable. For the RV I had been using an '08 26" Sanyo 720p but wanted a 1080 to use with a tablet. Like most newer ones it has a 1920x1080 video output via HDMI. For about $100 less than a TV I could buy a 27" 1080p monitor with both VGA and (2) HDMI inputs plus an earphone output (latter is hard to find).

So when travelling I just put the monitor and 180 in the trailer. In population dense Florida I usuallg get between 50 and 60 OTA stations, some in English amd most with closed captions. When not I just connect the 180 to my workstation.

I think I have bought my last televsion, a monitor with the tuner elsewhere just makes more sense.
padgett

Return to Homeworx HW-150PVR, PVR ATSC TV Tuner and USB Media Player