Xbox One won't control HW-150PVR

Support and Discussion for Homeworx HW-150PVR

Re: Xbox One won't control HW-150PVR

Postby TeknoKid » February 9th, 2015, 4:08 am

I’m not sure if this is the same issue others are running into but I had assumed I was having the same problems until tonight.. I’ve been fighting with my Xbox One and HW-150PVR (v3) since October.. I could get the Xbox One to display live television but never set the channel correctly.. Picking channels from the OneGuide or by using Kinect voice commands displayed ‘Invalid Chanel’ onscreen. I was able to navigate up and down a single channel at a time from the Xbox One or use the Mediasonic remote with no problems.

I just recently switched my Media Center computer from cable to an OTA tuner and now, circling back to the Xbox One, I noticed that some of the channels didn’t agree with what I had seen on my Media Center and many of the invalid channels seemed to have lower numbers than the correct channels.. for instance, CBS has an invalid 2.1 channel along with the valid 58.1 channel so when I say ‘Xbox watch CBS’ it attempts to tune the invalid lower numbered channel and shows the error on screen. I started searching for problems with the OneGuide and it seems like the zip code search for channel listings isn’t as exact as it was for cable and for some unknown reason includes every channel within about 100 miles even though many of those aren’t receivable at your location.

Would a few of you who are having problems mind looking up the valid list of channels in your area and attempt to tune some of those from your OneGuide using your controller to see if it works for you? If this is the issue, Microsoft can resolve it in one of two ways.. either fixing the data which OneGuide uses or allowing us to manually exclude channels from the OneGuide list (I can’t believe this isn’t a thing right now..)
TeknoKid

Postby joecr » February 9th, 2015, 11:45 am

TeknoKid wrote:I’m not sure if this is the same issue others are running into but I had assumed I was having the same problems until tonight.. I’ve been fighting with my Xbox One and HW-150PVR (v3) since October.. I could get the Xbox One to display live television but never set the channel correctly.. Picking channels from the OneGuide or by using Kinect voice commands displayed ‘Invalid Chanel’ onscreen. I was able to navigate up and down a single channel at a time from the Xbox One or use the Mediasonic remote with no problems.

You are having an issue with info on your Xbox having inaccurate data. I'd suggest contacting Xbox support. You can call 1-800-4MY-XBOX or send a tweet to @xboxsupport and if you want you can use the following URL for other contact methods.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/contact-us
joecr

Postby Wolverine0717 » February 9th, 2015, 12:52 pm

TeknoKid wrote:I’m not sure if this is the same issue others are running into but I had assumed I was having the same problems until tonight.. I’ve been fighting with my Xbox One and HW-150PVR (v3) since October.. I could get the Xbox One to display live television but never set the channel correctly.. Picking channels from the OneGuide or by using Kinect voice commands displayed ‘Invalid Chanel’ onscreen. I was able to navigate up and down a single channel at a time from the Xbox One or use the Mediasonic remote with no problems.

There is a thread on the XBox forum for similar issues with the HW-150PVR. You can find it here:
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox ... x?pi7962=5

As you will see, Microsoft has been working on this issue for some time. I also had a v3 model and solved my issue buy re-ordering a new unit and receiving a v2 by chance. It's not an ideal solution, but I believe that they've solved the issue for the v3 with an update. I still have the v3 unit, but I've not been able to test it, yet.

As for the channel changes using Kinect, I've been noticing the same issue. The Kinect does not seem to work very accurately with the HW-150PVR, but works fine with other components, such as the TV and receiver (As a side note, I've also noticed that the Kinect has issues working through glass, in general). Some have solved this issue by placing an IR transmitter directly over the IR receiver of the HW-150PVR.

I just recently switched my Media Center computer from cable to an OTA tuner and now, circling back to the Xbox One, I noticed that some of the channels didn’t agree with what I had seen on my Media Center and many of the invalid channels seemed to have lower numbers than the correct channels.. for instance, CBS has an invalid 2.1 channel along with the valid 58.1 channel so when I say ‘Xbox watch CBS’ it attempts to tune the invalid lower numbered channel and shows the error on screen. I started searching for problems with the OneGuide and it seems like the zip code search for channel listings isn’t as exact as it was for cable and for some unknown reason includes every channel within about 100 miles even though many of those aren’t receivable at your location.

Would a few of you who are having problems mind looking up the valid list of channels in your area and attempt to tune some of those from your OneGuide using your controller to see if it works for you? If this is the issue, Microsoft can resolve it in one of two ways.. either fixing the data which OneGuide uses or allowing us to manually exclude channels from the OneGuide list (I can’t believe this isn’t a thing right now..)

I've noticed a similar issue with the channel list and voice control, but I've not yet found a solution. There may be another thread on this in the XBox Forum.
Wolverine0717

Previous

Return to Homeworx HW-150PVR, PVR ATSC TV Tuner and USB Media Player