Timer recording doesn't work any more

Support and Discussion for Homeworx HW-150PVR

Timer recording doesn't work any more

Postby tentaro » January 1st, 2015, 10:21 pm

I can not figure this out. If it hit the record button on the remote, it will record no problem. I am using an 8Gig Flash Drive. Anyway, when I set up a timer recording , the box turns on and then just stays on, it doesn't record anything and doesn't even power itself back off. Frustrated as hell. It worked when I first got it in September and now it's only been 3 months and it won't work anymore. Anyone else have this issue?
tentaro

Re: Timer recording doesn't work any more

Postby guyfort » January 4th, 2015, 9:20 pm

I have the same problem. It appears that since the start of the new year it won't record anything anymore. I've looked in the timer schedule menu and it appears to correctly show the next record times but it doesn't actually do the recording.
guyfort

Postby flascuba » January 5th, 2015, 8:53 am

I have seen this 2 or 3 times with latest firmware. It seems that if the channel can't be tuned in when it wants to start a scheduled recording, the show is not recorded and the power (green light) just stays on, does go back to standby (red light). The software seems to just punt.
flascuba

Postby tentaro » January 12th, 2015, 11:33 am

Ok this is so weird..... I set up a timer recording 15 mins away and it turned on and recorded the program just fine. Why won't it work for future recordings? My only guess has to be what was already said about the channel not be tuned in but, can it be that every time in the last few tries the channel isn't tuned in at the exact moment for 3 or 4 recording cycles now? It is possible but highly unlikely. Yes I am getting more pixelation since it's become colder even on the channels that are less than 15 miles away but it's never long enough for it to become an issue (I would think anyway). I am wondering if it's worth to keep this thing plugged in at all at this point.
Thanks for the replies, glad to know I am not the only one with this type of issue.
tentaro

Postby joecr » January 12th, 2015, 12:09 pm

I've found flash drive to be unreliable at recording TV. They are just not designed to have a file written for 30+ minutes. Also some drives will fail to start on time if the unit is on standby & they won't be detected causing a failed recording. Also if signal for the channel being recorded drops the recording is sometimes canceled or stopped part way through.

If this sounds confusing you are beginning to understand. If it were programmed better with better hardware you would most likely be paying close to what a TiVo goes for.
joecr

Postby SupremeC » January 12th, 2015, 7:33 pm

joecr wrote:If it were programmed better with better hardware you would most likely be paying close to what a TiVo goes for.

No doubt Mediasonic needs to clean up the firmware. It could also choose better chipsets/tuners and still sell them for no more than they are sold now.

Like all electronics these days, most of the ATSC Tuner/DVRs are over priced. If you were interested in selling ATSC Tuner/DVRs [many using the same tuners, chipsets, etc as the HW-150PVR] and purchased in large quantities, you can get them for as little as $10-$25 [FOB] each. Why anyone would pay more than $50-$60 for an OTA ATSC tuner is beyond me.
SupremeC

Postby jorgek » January 14th, 2015, 12:55 pm

I have to agree with Joecr that the flash drive is unreliable. I now use a 1TB Seagate HDD with no problems.
jorgek

Postby tentaro » February 23rd, 2015, 10:36 pm

The only problem with dropping money on a portable HDD is I don't see wasting anymore money on something that only works when it wants to. I think if it was a bit more reliable I wouldn't mind spending more. I had a external drive setup but it was even less reliable. The only other thing I can think to try is starting the recordings a few minutes early and see if that helps at all
tentaro

Postby padgett » February 24th, 2015, 12:45 pm

I have not observed that problem but may be because I use only Name class 10 or U1 drives, there are a lot of cheap and counterfeit drives out there ( even got a "defective" 64 GB from Amazon that only held 8), some that are not even class 2 (2 MB/s) one sign would be a flash that works at 720p but has trouble with 1080.
padgett

Postby tentaro » March 16th, 2015, 9:55 am

Yea I have tried better chances with my 8 gig flashdrive than the 200Gb drive in the external HDD enclosure. I just bought a 32Gb because 8 just isn't big enough and I really don't need more than enough space for about 5 shows and honestly with the reliability of this unit, I don't want to waste any more money on it. It just failed on 4 recordings in a row last night, the thing didn't even power on/ come out of standby. It is super frustrating but until I can afford a Tablo, I will have to suffer with this thing.
tentaro

Return to Homeworx HW-150PVR, PVR ATSC TV Tuner and USB Media Player