HW-150PVR Rebooting on a Loop and Not Responding

Support and Discussion for Homeworx HW-150PVR

HW-150PVR Rebooting on a Loop and Not Responding

Postby home_alone » March 5th, 2015, 9:56 pm

It's been good for the last eight months since purchase up until today. This morning I noticed it is not responding to any remote commands. Replaced the remote batteries.
It reloads up to the HomeWorx logo, then reloads/boot and if it is on a boot loop.
I wonder if any member had experience this behavior.
home_alone

Re: HW-150PVR Rebooting on a Loop and Not Responding

Postby padgett » March 5th, 2015, 10:33 pm

If anything is in the USB socket, remove it and retry.
padgett

Postby SupremeC » March 8th, 2015, 4:18 pm

Have you tried unplugging it for a 10-15 seconds?
SupremeC

Postby Ruffroc02 » April 3rd, 2015, 6:38 pm

I am experiencing the same issue. I have powered off, unplugged, replugged, and powered on and it is still boot looping. Please let me know what I can do to fix this. I have done it with a storage device both plugged and unplugged from it
Ruffroc02

Postby ColdCase » April 4th, 2015, 7:39 pm

Time for a RMA/warranty replacement.

If you want, open the box and look for bulging caps in the power supply area. If you're handy you can replace them and see how it goes.
ColdCase

Postby randomguy » April 13th, 2015, 9:32 pm

Happened to me.

I don't know if this was just luck but this is what I did and it booted.

Hold in the "up" arrow on the front of the HW-150PVR while powering on.

I'm not guaranteeing a fix but it worked when I did it.

Good luck!
randomguy

Postby padgett » April 14th, 2015, 9:47 am

If the last thing done was to replace the remote batteries, I'd remove the batteries and retry.
padgett

Postby lordcy » May 2nd, 2015, 7:34 pm

My HW-150PVR also kept rebooting after about a year of use (purchased at the end of April, 2014). Opened it up and found that 22uf 400V capacitor has failed.

Going to try and clean up the board and replace the capacitor and the four 1N4007 diodes that may have been effected. Bought the new 180 with PVR function just in case this doesn't work. Will let you know the results when I'm done.

LordCy
lordcy

Postby MikeS » May 8th, 2015, 12:04 pm

lordcy wrote:My HW-150PVR also kept rebooting after about a year of use (purchased at the end of April, 2014). Opened it up and found that 22uf 400V capacitor has failed.

Going to try and clean up the board and replace the capacitor and the four 1N4007 diodes that may have been effected. Bought the new 180 with PVR function just in case this doesn't work. Will let you know the results when I'm done.

LordCy

Thanks for posting the photos. My unit ceased working recently after just over a year. Out of warranty so I opened it up to have a look as well. Found a bunch of dried goo similar to what's shown in your photo, but it was more yellow, dry & I thought whoever assembled the board got carried away with the glue. Couldn't figure out why there would be glue in that area & the connectors on the tuner pcb had similar stuff on them, no large capacitors near those. Heat is the enemy of electronics, so covering a bunch of diodes with glue almost seems like a tactic to make the thing fail after a given period of operation. Seems devious to me, but who knows?

Will be interesting to see if your repair fixes it. The large cap on my power supply isn't bulging, but for the price I may replace it to see what happens. I'll post results of my efforts when done as well.
MikeS

Postby antineutron » July 1st, 2015, 1:27 am

I've had a bit of trouble with this on my better unit lately, the unplug/main power switch thing worked but blanked every setting. Swapping media helped break the reboot cycle also.

That capacitor might be going on mine, though. Glad someone's got a hardware fix already.
antineutron

Next

Return to Homeworx HW-150PVR, PVR ATSC TV Tuner and USB Media Player