Unable to play some USB flash drive recordings

Support and Discussion for Homeworx HW-150PVR

Unable to play some USB flash drive recordings

Postby luv2rallye » November 14th, 2017, 4:16 am

I just got the HW-150PVR and only want to use it as an inexpensive (<$35) mechanism for recording OTA TV shows onto a USB 3.0 flash drive. This is so I can later plug the USB flash drive into a digital TV (via a Blu-ray player) on a different floor of the house to watch them. This allows me to record OTA shows that are broadcast at the same time while I am watching a different OTA show on my digital TV (I use an antenna for both).

Despite some claims on here that USB flash drives don’t work, I have gotten it to but for one problem. I found that I have to use the USB 3.0 (for faster write speed) formatted in NTFS (FATxx doesn’t work), and they only play on the Blu-ray player (not the TV). The problem is only about 10 out of 20 OTA channels will play on the Blu-ray and I can’t figure out why. They all play fine on a PC (via VLC media player). I thought the cause may be lower signal strength on some channels but when I checked, even some that play have even lower signal strength. I also have an antenna amplifier. And checking video and audio codecs, both the failing ones and passing ones use the same ones.

I’ve tried multiple flash drives and sizes in case one is bad and tried different times and days but the same channels never play. The only difference I’ve noticed is when I display MediaInfo of the mts files, the failing ones all have a video “maximum bit rate” of less or equal to 18.0 Mbps (passing ones are way higher), although this may just be the end result of the real problem. When I try to play them on the Blu-ray the only thing I see is a spinning wheel in the upper right corner and it stays that way for 1.5 minutes until it times out. All remote buttons do nothing during this time. Any ideas?

11/14/2017 update:
I think I've found the problem. I discovered the recordings that don't play are in 480i resolution and apparently my TV and Blu-Ray won't play them from a USB flash drive (even though their manuals say 480i is supported). I have the Sony Bravia KDL-55EX640 TV and Sony BDP-S390 Blu-Ray player. Another weird thing is there is one channel in 720p that doesn't play yet other 720p channels do.
luv2rallye

Re: Unable to play some USB flash drive recordings

Postby luv2rallye » November 23rd, 2017, 8:07 pm

11/23/2017 update:
Ok. I've gotten a new Sony Blu-ray player (BDP-S3700) and now all recorded programs from the HW-150PVR recording onto a USB flash drive and plugging that flash drive into the Blu-ray, play on it (including the 480i and 720p channels).

Two things I've noticed:
1) Use NTFS format since FAT32 only supports up to 4GB and nearly all shows longer than 1 hour exceed that (in 1080i resolution which most now are). If you use FAT32 it will make multiple files (and only the first has the mts extension) which my Blu-ray can't handle. I don't want to have to spend time "doctoring up" and stitching files together on my computer when I record nearly every day. Using NTFS generates 1 large file which already works fine.

2) THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! If you're using a USB flash drive it MUST have a write speed fast enough (when writing it from the HW-150PVR) or you will experience all kinds of problems on a play back device that is not the HW-150PVR (eg. I use the Blu-ray). I've found that nearly all USB 2.0 flash drives don't have a fast enough write speed and even most 3.0 are not fast enough (thus Mediasonic's recommendation to use a USB hard drive). Through personal testing I've found that using flash drives with a write speed greater than 7.3 MB/S seem to work. I use USBDeview Speed Test to determine the flash's write speed. I've had luck with SanDisk USB 3.0 flash drives being fast enough. Six other brands I've tryed all were too slow (and I tryed many of each) and all had problems playing on my Blu-ray player.
luv2rallye

Return to Homeworx HW-150PVR, PVR ATSC TV Tuner and USB Media Player