Will a USB flash drive work?

Support and Discussion for Homeworx HW-150PVR

Will a USB flash drive work?

Postby Jim S. » January 19th, 2018, 6:33 am

Just bought a 150PVR. Want to record one hour a week off broadcast for the wife.
I have a PNY Turbo 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive. Will this work or, in time will I be
looking at getting a EXT. USB drive with it's own Pwr. supply? Thanks........Jim
Jim S.

Re: Will a USB flash drive work?

Postby eherberg » January 20th, 2018, 7:26 pm

They're not recommended. Sustained write speed is difficult to keep up on a USB flash drive. The only one that has even spotty success is the Samsung Ultra drives (not the Cruzer). For a couple of months I had decent success with the Ultra - but then I started missing shows with it as the drive had more use. And when it fails -
it also deletes the timer for that recording usually. Other people have had longer success with the drive. I eventually went with a small 320 GB maxone 2.5" drive (so as not to overload the power available from the port). I've been using that for the last couple of months for my wife's daily chat shows and haven't had a failure yet.
eherberg

Re: Will a USB flash drive work?

Postby Jim S. » January 20th, 2018, 8:12 pm

Yeah thanks. That is the route I think I'll take. I have been finding it hard to find the current draw of different USB hard drives. I can always use a powered USB hub to be safe........Thanks for the info.
Jim S.

Return to Homeworx HW-150PVR, PVR ATSC TV Tuner and USB Media Player