Mediasonic HFR2-ASU3S2 Smartshield questions

Have questions? Need information about a Product? Post it here, Let us answer before you buy

Mediasonic HFR2-ASU3S2 Smartshield questions

Postby lieiti » September 8th, 2012, 4:25 pm

Hi, regarding the Mediasonic HFR2-ASU3S2 SmartShield 4 Bay External Hard Drive Enclosure, how does this work exactly?

Is the encryption optional or done automatically?

Is a flash drive required?

How does it work with Raid 5?

Thanks.
lieiti

Re: Mediasonic HFR2-ASU3S2 Smartshield questions

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » September 8th, 2012, 5:54 pm

lieiti wrote:Hi, regarding the Mediasonic HFR2-ASU3S2 SmartShield 4 Bay External Hard Drive Enclosure, how does this work exactly?

Is the encryption optional or done automatically?

Is a flash drive required?

How does it work with Raid 5?

Thanks.

Encryption is optional.
The unit comes with 2 x key flash drive.
If you enable encryption, you would need to plug in the flash drive key in, to get access to your files
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Postby lieiti » September 8th, 2012, 10:02 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Some more questions:

1) What happens if both flash drives are lost or damaged somehow. Can I create a new one from my own flash drive? Can I buy more flash drive keys from you?

2) What if I choose NOT to enable encryption at first and build a Raid 5 set, and then later want to enable it. Can I do so without destroying the Raid set and data? In other words, if I want encryption, do I need to set it up from the very beginning, or can it be enabled at any time?

3) Does the encryption slow the Raid 5 set down? Slow the read / write speeds? If so, how much?

Thanks again.
lieiti

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » September 10th, 2012, 5:11 pm

1. When you create a encryption, you will be asked to save your encrytion key file to your palce of preference. (any where in the computer hard drive). So if you loose 1 key, you still have another (that is why we supply 2 USB keys. is should be a back up)

2. you have to enable encrytion 1st, if you want to use it. I you not, then you have to back up your date and recreate your Raid with encryption enable this time.

3. We didn't do a speed test to compare with and without encryption
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Postby YS2100 » September 11th, 2012, 5:55 am

Thanks Admin for your reply but I also have to ask:

- is it possible to buy more flash drives from you (I actually need more than the 2 flash drives that come with the enclosure)?
- it it possible to copy the encryption file to a 'regular' flash drive or does it have to be one of the 'special' flash drives supplied by you?

Thanks again!
YS2100

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » September 11th, 2012, 3:13 pm

YS2100 wrote:Thanks Admin for your reply but I also have to ask:

- is it possible to buy more flash drives from you (I actually need more than the 2 flash drives that come with the enclosure)?
- it it possible to copy the encryption file to a 'regular' flash drive or does it have to be one of the 'special' flash drives supplied by you?

Thanks again!

let me check with my R&D department and see if have to be flash drive specific of any will do
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Postby YS2100 » September 18th, 2012, 4:38 pm

Hi Admin_Mediasonic,

Is it possible to purchase additional AES encryption keys from you?

Kind regards,

Matt
YS2100

Return to Presales