HF2-SU3S2 -- Adding Drives - without formatting?

Have questions? Need information about a Product? Post it here, Let us answer before you buy

HF2-SU3S2 -- Adding Drives - without formatting?

Postby guestman » February 10th, 2011, 9:03 am

Hi guys,

I'm wanting to buy a HF2-SU3S2 (as this is the only model i can find in the UK)

I already have 4 hard drives with films, home videos, music, etc -- on each one. each drive is 1TB - and most have space free on them.

What i want to do -- is put the drives into the HF2-SU3S2, and have them show as 4 seperate drives in my media player. I do not want to format them as one drive, as i would not be able to copy all my files anywhere. If they all show up as 1 drive - that is fine, but i CANNOT format my hard drives.

Is there a way to do this?

Add 4 drives, and have them just show as 4 drives (or 1 drive) - but NOT need to format them???

Thanks for the help.
guestman

Re: HF2-SU3S2 -- Adding Drives - without formatting?

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » February 10th, 2011, 10:53 am

guestman wrote:Hi guys,

I'm wanting to buy a HF2-SU3S2 (as this is the only model i can find in the UK)

I already have 4 hard drives with films, home videos, music, etc -- on each one. each drive is 1TB - and most have space free on them.

What i want to do -- is put the drives into the HF2-SU3S2, and have them show as 4 seperate drives in my media player. I do not want to format them as one drive, as i would not be able to copy all my files anywhere. If they all show up as 1 drive - that is fine, but i CANNOT format my hard drives.

Is there a way to do this?

Add 4 drives, and have them just show as 4 drives (or 1 drive) - but NOT need to format them???

Thanks for the help.

Hi,
HF2-SU3S2 is not a RAID enclosure, so each drive you put in will show its own drive letter. So you can just put it in and no need to format it.
Now you should check if your Media player support multiple Drives. Cause if it does not then it will only see the 1st hard drive.
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Postby guestman » February 12th, 2011, 9:55 am

Hi - based on your reply, i purchased the HF2-SU3S2.

Unfortunatly - the hard drive shows up as unallocated -- and requireing "initialize disk".

I clicked "initialize disk" as i read this will not format the hard drive -- but it did not help -- disk manager is still showing the drive as "unallocated"

How do i access the data on the hard drive without having to format it?

Thanks for the help.
guestman

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » February 12th, 2011, 10:59 am

What kind of partion and format did you have on your hard drives?
What type of operating system were they used in?
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Postby guestman » February 12th, 2011, 11:24 am

I'm just trying it with a single hard drive right now -- it's a WD green drive - from a "WD My Book" external USB hard drive.

I took the drive out - which was formated using Windows XP over 1 years ago -- with NTFS.

I think the problem may be beacuse of some software WD include with their hard drives.

I do not have enough free space to copy the contents of the drive -- anywhere else -- to format the hard drive.
guestman

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » February 12th, 2011, 12:51 pm

guestman wrote:I'm just trying it with a single hard drive right now -- it's a WD green drive - from a "WD My Book" external USB hard drive.

I took the drive out - which was formated using Windows XP over 1 years ago -- with NTFS.

I think the problem may be beacuse of some software WD include with their hard drives.

I do not have enough free space to copy the contents of the drive -- anywhere else -- to format the hard drive.

yes the problem is with the WD software on the Hard Drive. Are all your hard drives like that??
If not, then you can put other hard drive in 1st, (ones that are NTFS already). Then put back that hard drive back to WD book and copy stuff out to the other drive in 4 bay. After you finish copying then remove the WD software and format it again, then put into 4 bay
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Return to Presales