Sorry for the lengthy post but I think some of this background information is relevant.
I’m a Mac user [15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (Late 2016, Space Gray)]. I own an Airport Extreme and had an WD external hard drive attached to it that I mainly used for Time Machine backups and on occasion, as extra storage.
The WD drive recently failed and rather than just buy a new one, I decided to re-think my backup/external storage configuration. After some carful consideration I decided on the following:
- I didn’t want to have my backup storage connected to the network (NAS). It was nice and convenient but nesseccary for what I use it for.
- I didn’t need anything portable. This was something I intended to leave at home at all times.
- USC-C Interface with support for USB 3.1 was a must. I wanted to maximize data transfer speed and eliminate the need for an adapter.
- Need something that supportered RAID 1 so there wasn’t a single point of failure.
- SSD is nice but too expensive and overkill for my needs (mainly backup). That being said, I’m looking for a fast HDD (7200 rpm, etc.)
- Ability to replace failed drives myself. Looks like there a few commercially available RAID 1 external hard drives that support RAID 1 but it appears that once one drive goes bad, you have to replace the unit. No swapping out failed drives. I also couldn’t find anything that met all my requirements. Units that supported USB-C didn’t support RAID 1, etc.
Question 1: Anybody see anything grossly wrong with my logic thus far and the requirements I laid out?
After hours of research, the only unit I could find that seems to meet my requirements is the HUR5-SU31C. I considered the HUR6-SU31 but I don’t need it to be portable and I like that the HUR5-SU31C will have better temperature control and is more flexible in regards to hard drive options.
Question 2: Would you also go with the HUR5-SU31C or is there another unit I should consider?
The last step of this puzzle is what hard drives do I put into the unit? I’m looking for 2TB of storage so 2 x 2TB drives since I’m going to be using RAID 1 configuration. There seems to be so much conflicting information on the internet regarding drives and their reliability. Seagate? HGST? WD? Also what class of hard drive should I go with? PC & Gaming? NAS? Mobile? etc. NAS seems like the best fit given what I plan to use this for despite not actually connecting it to my network.
Question 3: Any recommendations on the drives I should use?
Thanks in advance for your time and responses.
Have questions? Need information about a Product? Post it here, Let us answer before you buy
- ↳ News & Upcoming Products
- ↳ Features Wanted & Product Improvement Suggestions
- Before Purchasing A Mediasonic Product
- ↳ Presales
- Mediasonic USB 3.1 Enclosures
- ↳ HUR6-SU31, 2 Bay (Dual bay) Type-C Enclosure
- ↳ HUR6-SU31 - For PC Users
- ↳ HUR6-SU31 - For Mac Users
- ↳ HUR5-SU31C, 2 Bay Proraid USB 3.1 Type-C
- ↳ HUR5-SU31C - For PC Users
- ↳ HUR5-SU31C - For Mac Users
- ↳ HF2-SU31C / HF7-SU31C, 4 bay Probox USB 3.1 Type-C
- ↳ HF2-SU31C / HF7-SU31C - For PC Users
- ↳ HF2-SU31C / HF7-SU31C - For Mac Users
- Mediasonic 4 Bay - USB 3.0 & eSata
- ↳ HF2-SU3S2 ProBox
- ↳ HF2-SU3S2 ProBox - For PC Users
- ↳ HF2-SU3S2 Probox - For Mac Users
- ↳ HFR2-SU3S2 ProRaid
- ↳ HFR2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users
- ↳ HFR2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For Mac Users
- Mediasonic 8 Bay - USB 3.0 & eSata
- ↳ H82-SU3S2 ProBox
- ↳ H82-SU3S2 ProBox - For PC Users
- ↳ H82-SU3S2 ProBox - For Mac Users
- ↳ H8R2-SU3S2 ProRaid
- ↳ H8R2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For PC Users
- ↳ H8R2-SU3S2 ProRaid - For Mac Users
- Mediasonic USB 3.0 Single and Dual Bay
- ↳ USB 3.0 Single Bay Enclosures - for PC Users
- ↳ USB 3.0 Single Bay Enclosures - for Mac Users
- ↳ HUR5-SU3 ProRaid, 2 Bay, USB 3.0
- ↳ HUR5-SU3 ProRaid - For PC Users
- ↳ HUR5-SU3 ProRaid - For Mac Users
- ↳ HUR3-SU3S3 ProRaid, 2 Bay, USB 3.0 & eSata
- ↳ HUR3-SU3S3 ProRaid - For PC Users
- ↳ HUR3-SU3S3 ProRaid - For Mac Users
- ↳ HUR1-SU3S2 Dual Bay ** Discontinued **
- Mediasonic HD Docks - USB 3.0 & eSata
- ↳ HFD1-SU3S2 - 4 bay, USB 3.0 and eSata
- ↳ HFD1-SU3S2 - For PC Users
- ↳ HFD1-SU3S2 - For Mac Users
- ↳ HND1-SU3, 1 Bay, USB 3.0
- ↳ HND1-SU3 - For PC Users
- ↳ HND1-SU3 - For Mac Users
- ↳ HUD1-SU3, CloneHD, 2 Bay, USB 3.0
- ↳ HUD1-SU3 CloneHD - For PC Users
- ↳ HUD1-SU3 CloneHD - For Mac Users
- Mediasonic USB 2.0 Enclosures
- ↳ Single Drive USB 2.0 Enclosure
- ↳ Dual Bay USB 2.0 Enclosure
- ↳ 4 Bay USB 2.0 Enclosure
- Notebook Accessories
- ↳ SmartDock Pro HV1-U60D2L
- ↳ SmartDock Pro HV1-U60D2L - For PC Users
- ↳ SmartDock Pro HV1-U60D2L - For Mac Users
- ↳ SmartDock HV1-U24D2L
- ↳ SmartDock HV1-U24D2L - For PC Users
- ↳ SmartDock HV1-U24D2L - For Mac Users
- Computer Peripherals & Accessories
- ↳ Mediasonic eSata III PCIe card HP1-SS3
- ↳ Mediasonic HP1-SU3, USB 3.0 PCI-E Card
- ↳ Mediasonic HP1-U32F, PCI-E USB 3.0 Card
- ↳ Mediasonic HP1-U34F, PCI-E USB 3.0 Card
- Consumer Electronics and Accessories
- ↳ Mediasonic HW210AX DVD player with USB Media Player
- ↳ Homeworx HW-150PVR, PVR ATSC TV Tuner and USB Media Player
- ↳ Xbox One with HW150PVR
- ↳ HomeWorx HW130STB and HW180STB ATSC Digital Converter Box with Media Player Function & HDMI
- ↳ HomeWorx HW-120AN Digital Indoor Active Antenna
- ↳ HomeWorx HW100STB ATSC Digital Converter Box * Discontinued *
- ↳ Mediasonic MTP-710, 7" SmartPad Android 4 Tablet * Discontinued *
- ↳ Mediasonic HE1-78U2 Probox Power Bank