Possible for 2 separate Raid 1's?

Have questions? Need information about a Product? Post it here, Let us answer before you buy

Possible for 2 separate Raid 1's?

Postby Hagar » October 3rd, 2010, 8:20 pm

I hope I can explain this. I have two 2tb drives in a BlacX Duet but the BlacX is not reliable. I am considering a Mediasonic box. What I would like to do is put my two (67% full) 2tb drives in Bays 1 and 3, and identical new drives in Bays 2 and 4. I would like to set it up as two Raid 1's where Drive 2 mirrors Drive 1 and Drive 4 mirrors Drive 3. This would give me a total of 4tb available, all redundant. Can this be done, and can I set it up without losing the data on the two drives? Which model Mediasonic box would do this? I have a multiport replicator card which worked with my BlacX but the BlacX started failing intermittently and now is dead. These data are all digitized family VHS video files without a means to back them up since there is so much data. Thanks!
Hagar

Re: Possible for 2 separate Raid 1's?

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » October 4th, 2010, 9:59 am

hi,
in you case will need to use Raid 10 = (Raid 1 + Raid 0)
see viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9
& viewtopic.php?f=22&t=25
however you will have to back up all your data 1st, because the 4 bay enclosure will ask you to format the hard drives
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Postby Hagar » January 2nd, 2011, 12:34 am

Okay, I am ready to order this Proraid Mediasonic box and use Raid 10 as you suggest. One last quick question, assuming 4 2-tb drives, will I see two separate drive letters, each with 2tb drives or one drive letter with a single 4tb partition? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I have no RAID experience and I might have some questions setting it up, but I really like what I see here. A second question, if I may, is I need to order a controller card since I have no USB 3.0 ports. USB 3.0 is faster than eSata, right? Thanks!
Hagar

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » January 2nd, 2011, 3:37 am

with 4 x 2TB in Raid 10, you will only get 1 Driver letter with 4TB
is USB 3.0 faster? read this article http://www.itworld.com/hardware/98987/u ... page=0%2C0
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Postby Hagar » January 2nd, 2011, 8:29 pm

Wow, that was fast! I just ordered my box from Amazon.com. Interesting read about USB 3.0 vs. Esata. No clear answer. I have an an Esata card with port multiplier so I will go with that. Thanks! If I have any questions setting up the RAID I will give a shout!
Hagar

Postby Hagar » January 8th, 2011, 4:59 pm

Arrived, set up quickly, and up and running! Absolutely delighted. The only minor blip is it starts in USB 3 interface by default. Hitting the interface switch would not switch it to Esata, then the box would power down. I found on these forums that you have to hold the interface switch down for about 3 seconds. I did that, it switched, instantly recognized the drives, and it took off and it is FAST! Great purchase, thank you!
Hagar

Return to Presales