K32-SU3 Drivers and Formatting and How2?

Support and Discussion for 3.5" & 2.5" Enclosures - for PC Users
HD6-SU3, HD6-SU3S2, HD3-SU3, K32-SU3, H21-SU3 and HDK-SU3 (BN, PK and WT)

K32-SU3 Drivers and Formatting and How2?

Postby CMRMediaSo » April 30th, 2014, 9:18 am

Hello.

I have a previously-used Seagate Barracuda 3TB Expansion Desk drive, with data on it. The factory enclosure's USB 3.0 cable was bent from recent transit, so I purchased the K32-SU3 enclosure.

When I dropped the Seagate into the the K32-SU3, it stated that the drive was not formatted. Of course, it has lots of data on it already. I can remove the external plastic case of the Seagate and connect via native cables to my computer and still see the data. But this is flimsy.

I searched this forum, and found where apparently your K32-SU3 controller requires that the disk be reformatted. Okay, that is a bit disappointing. I copied all of the data from the Seagate to another 3TB drive, successfully.

Then I reconnected the Seagate to the computer and went to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, and selected "Disk Management"

When installed with the K32-SU3, it depicts this 3 TB drive as three partitions:
343.91 GB "RAW"
1698.69 Unallocated
746.52 Unallocated

This makes me wonder if the K32-SU3 firmware is not recognizing a disk with capacity greater than 400 GB.

I've tried the Seagate and K32-SU3 in two different computers (Dell and a Lenovo) with ages of 3 years difference, and in both their USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 connectors.

What's your recommendation? I do not mind formatting the Seagate drive while it is contained in the K32-SU3, but wonder if this will make any difference if the firmware is not functioning properly. Also, would I then proceed to wipe-out the two Unallocated partitions that the K32-SU3 reports?

VM

-
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (8.38 KiB) Viewed 11235 times
CMRMediaSo

Re: K32-SU3 Drivers and Formatting and How2?

Postby CMRMediaSo » April 30th, 2014, 11:57 am

An update:

I went forward and attempted to reformat the entire drive.

It combined the 1st and 2nd partitions into one 2048.00 GB NTFS drive.

But it does not want to allow anything to be done with the 746.52 GB partition. Is this a limitation of the firmware in the K32-SU3?

- VM
CMRMediaSo

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » April 30th, 2014, 11:45 pm

hi
is not a limitation with K32-SU3
is because hard drives that comes from external hard drive of Seagate or WD
are special formatted ready for XP
using those drive, you should delete the partition while inside their original case, then put into Mediasonic to partition and format

also note, for over 2TB you need to select GPT partition and need 64bit Windows
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Postby CMRMediaSo » May 1st, 2014, 9:25 am

Thank you. That worked!

First, with the old, factory enclosure, I had to delete the partitions, then format it.

Placed in the K32-SU3 enclosure, and the Disk Manager wanted to know about the GPT. So selected GPT as you instructed. THEN had to re-format again to create a "New Simple Volume"

Thanks again.

- VM
CMRMediaSo

Postby Ander » December 5th, 2014, 4:59 am

What?? Do I really need to reformat my drive in this enclosure, just to use the enclosure? Why? Is this still necessary with the current models?

If this is true, shouldn't you mention it on the box with your other instructions? (There are no instructions inside, of course.)
Ander

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » December 15th, 2014, 12:17 pm

Ander wrote:What?? Do I really need to reformat my drive in this enclosure, just to use the enclosure? Why? Is this still necessary with the current models?

If this is true, shouldn't you mention it on the box with your other instructions? (There are no instructions inside, of course.)

Only need to reformat if you take a drive out from an external hard drive like Seagate or WD. (Since they were not meant for you to take out)
if you have a hard drive from inside a computer or a bare drive, then is ok
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Postby davemaas » July 31st, 2016, 11:30 am

i'm having this same issue. I opened up the enclosure, opened up a new, never opened 3tb seagate and selected gpt, and it only lets me create a 2tb partition....unallocated space is like 700ish MB....so what do I do. this is a desktop hard drive that has never been anywhere before.
davemaas

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » August 1st, 2016, 9:44 pm

davemaas wrote:i'm having this same issue. I opened up the enclosure, opened up a new, never opened 3tb seagate and selected gpt, and it only lets me create a 2tb partition....unallocated space is like 700ish MB....so what do I do. this is a desktop hard drive that has never been anywhere before.

Which Windows are you using?
2TB + 700isb unallocated , that sound like MBR
double check that you did select GPT
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Return to USB 3.0 Single Bay Enclosures - for PC Users