Hard drive no longer recognized?

Support and Discussion for Homeworx HW130STB and HW180STB

Hard drive no longer recognized?

Postby msteel » October 31st, 2017, 10:21 pm

The hard drive I have been using with my HW180STB suddenly stopped being recognized by the STB. However, if I connect the drive to my Windows 7 machine it works there. A couple of other devices (flash drive and another HDD) are recognized by the STB so it is a bit puzzling. It seems just these two devices no longer work together although they work separately. Anything I should try before I give up on the drive?

The drive is an old PATA in a USB 2.0/FireWire enclosure with an external power supply, 250 GB capacity, formatted NTFS. I have tried different power supply, cable, restarting the STB, etc.

The STB becomes sluggish when this particular drive is connected (takes 3-4 seconds to respond to remote control button presses)
msteel

Re: Hard drive no longer recognized?

Postby Mooncalf2012 » May 14th, 2018, 9:54 pm

Have you formatted using the USB menu, or from Windows? I've noticed that drives not formatted with the USB menu 'Format' command do not work, unless you label the drive/partition as: 123456789 (The default name given to formatted drives.) Hope this helps.
Mooncalf2012

Re: Hard drive no longer recognized?

Postby thesavo » May 29th, 2018, 5:51 am

Addionally, after formating you can run a disk check on the drive.

This pictorial should show you.

http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/06/win ... ws-10.html

If you want to go a step further, you can use a bootable program called spinrite.
thesavo

Return to HomeWorx HW130STB and HW180STB ATSC Digital Converter Box with Media Player Function & HDMI