Replacement remote

Support and Discussion for Homeworx HW130STB and HW180STB

Replacement remote

Postby reesiesteve » October 17th, 2015, 7:20 pm

I just bought a 180 STb and I open the box connected everything up only to find that the remote does not work. it has fresh batteries I've changed it several times and I still can't set the system up because my remote is not working, any solution? Can I get a replacement remote? Are there programmable remote that might work?
reesiesteve

Re: Replacement remote

Postby MrPete » October 17th, 2015, 7:25 pm

One way to do a simple test to make sure it's really not working (btw did you test the battery polarity... etc): use your smart phone camera to look at the remote while pushing buttons.

Infrared shows up quite bright on a smart phone.... it will blink if the remote is actually doing something.
MrPete

Postby reesiesteve » October 17th, 2015, 9:41 pm

Tried that, no ir blasting happening on this remote and I checked the batteries too (with a meter)
reesiesteve

Postby dcushing » October 30th, 2015, 5:41 pm

My new 180stb also has a non-working remote. After playing around with it I discovered that the springs do not appear to be strong enough to push the batteries so that they make a good connection. I folded some small pieces of paper and jammed them on the spring side of each battery so that the battery is very strongly pressed towards the "+" end and now the remote works. I plan on asking for a replacement remote.
dcushing

Postby consorts » December 3rd, 2015, 5:20 am

the remotes included with the 180stb are poor quality control manufactured with too wide a gap to the +positive+ stub contact on your battery. a DIY solution I found is to roll up a 5x30mm sliver of aluminum foil and place it in the gap between the battery top and plastic case contact to bridge this wide gap with conductive material. this helped resolve my intermittent remote problem. sorry, i don't know what cheap universal remote would work as i doubt the typical "learn mode" would work on this box, and these remotes have too many specialty buttons. I guess you could try the Logitech Harmony Remote - but buy it from a store that takes easy returns in case that expensive model does not work out for you.
consorts

Postby The Gears » March 11th, 2016, 3:19 pm

I use a Logitech Harmony 300, around $55.00Cdn. Very easy to program on computer then download into the
Harmony 300 with it's own USB cable. Can control 4 devices. I have TV, Homework 180 and DVD hard drive on mine, Works great. Also the Harmony 300 can "learn" from another controller.
The Gears

Return to HomeWorx HW130STB and HW180STB ATSC Digital Converter Box with Media Player Function & HDMI