Best device for recording to.

Support and Discussion for Homeworx HW130STB and HW180STB

Best device for recording to.

Postby Derek » November 27th, 2015, 4:33 pm

I'm currently using a usb 3.0 thumb drive to record OTA programs. During playback the video skips(goes fuzzy and advances about 30 seconds) several times an hour.
I know using flash drives isn't recommended. I'm going to purchase an external drive. Before I do can anyone share their experience with recording to an external HDD?
Will it resolve my problem? Further to that would buying an external SSD work better that an HDD? I'm willing to spend the money for an SSD if it's worth it to do so. Thanks!
Derek

Re: Best device for recording to.

Postby consorts » December 3rd, 2015, 5:05 am

i personally use the seagate slim 2tb because i use it to backup other devices, but if you just want a small usb stick for a dozen hours of recording, then the key is to look for one that is usb3 with a fast write speed. the best bang for your buck with that attribute would be: https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/extreme-usb OR http://www.lexar.com/flash-drives/jumpdrive-p20 there is no benefit to getting an external ssd unless the size and price is advantageous - for example a cheap 128gb ssd with enclosure cable ac:dc under $50usd may be worth the trouble.
consorts

Postby Derek » December 14th, 2015, 11:42 am

Thanks consorts. I need more that 12 hours so I took the plunge and bought a Seagate 3.5" 5900 rpm external hdd. It has it's own power cord as I read that's recommended for 3.5s. The blue light on the hdd only comes on when the drive is connected to the hw180. When it's plugged in to the power socket only there's nothing. When they're connected the hw180 messes up. I get a continuous cycle of the Mediaworx logo, blank screen, logo, blank,.... No tv pic. Any ideas?
Derek

Postby hueypokerbrainz » March 7th, 2016, 4:52 am

How big is your disk drive? If it's over 2TB, see this topic:
viewtopic.php?p=14038#p14038
(sadly, I'm in the same predicament, and need to partition my brand new drive)
hueypokerbrainz

Return to HomeWorx HW130STB and HW180STB ATSC Digital Converter Box with Media Player Function & HDMI