Audio Out of Sync Playing Media

Support and Discussion for Homeworx HW130STB and HW180STB

Audio Out of Sync Playing Media

Postby Budge » December 9th, 2015, 11:59 pm

Hi. I'm trying to play video files (mp4) through the USB port on the HW180. The picture looks great, and the sound is amazing, but the two are badly out of sync. I tried using HDMI and the included Composite cable. I double checked my video files and they played well on my computer and on the same tv using a different device. It's definitely the HW180. I also tried PCM and HDMI Raw settings with no change. Is anyone else having this problem?
Budge

Re: Audio Out of Sync Playing Media

Postby 180STBUser » January 30th, 2016, 3:44 pm

Video/Audio sync is a problem with many playback devices. Playback on a PC can take advantage of software controlled audio delay or advance (e.g. using VLC player), unfortunately it doesn't look like this feature is included with the 180STB (at least not yet - hint to Mediasonic tech people for an upgrade ;-) ) When you play the mp4 file on your computer, does the playback software have a control for audio sync, and is it enabled? It's hard to tell if the audio sync problem is due to the file itself having poor audio sync or if it's processing delay differences between video and audio streams extracted by the player software/firmware. Generally, if the audio sync offset is roughly the same on different playback devices, the problem is the encoding in the mp4 file. If not, it's likely processubg differences in the playback devices hardware/firmware/software.
180STBUser

Re: Audio Out of Sync Playing Media

Postby 180STBUser » February 21st, 2016, 6:53 pm

I've found that my 180 sometimes introduces a roughly 100 mSec video delay when starting a mp4 playback which can be fixed by quickly pressing << (REV), followed by > (PLAY). This helps to re-sync the audio with video, but only for relatively small sync issues and only those that are caused by the 180 device itself. The same quick <rev><play> sequence is something I've discovered previously with my DVD player, so it's something to do with video playback devices in general. Could be that the playback device drops a video frame or two but doesn't affect the audio stream, thus the falling out of sync and it needs a quick electronic slap upside to put things right.
180STBUser

Return to HomeWorx HW130STB and HW180STB ATSC Digital Converter Box with Media Player Function & HDMI