PVR Hard Drive Suggestions

Support and Discussion for Homeworx HW130STB and HW180STB

PVR Hard Drive Suggestions

Postby jrichmond » January 25th, 2016, 1:00 am

I'm considering getting the HW180STB, and wanted to know what the best external hard drive would be. I'm probably going to get somewhere in the 320GB to 1TB range, and I'm currently looking at this one: http://amzn.com/B00H4XH5IG

I've had a hard time finding information on exactly what sort of requirements the HomeWorx has, so can some of you post what hard drive you're using, and how well it works?

Thanks!
jrichmond

Re: PVR Hard Drive Suggestions

Postby 180STBUser » January 30th, 2016, 3:34 pm

I've been using Fantom GreenDrive USB external 2TB for my computer archives & backup for several years. I have 6 of these drives for various purposes, they all work great, I've never had a problem with any of them after more than 3 years. You can get them in USB2 or USB3, either way the price is very good; usually <$100. I just recently bought a HW180STB and the Fantom drives are usable for playback without any changes. Just plug the drive into the 180STB USB port and it works. Haven't tried using them for PVR yet, so can't comment on that.
180STBUser

Postby HW180STB_NewVerUser » January 30th, 2016, 4:48 pm

I have had a HW180STB (New Version) for some months, and have been using a Western Digital My Passport Ultra 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 WDBZFP0010BBK-NESN. It works fine with the HW180, is small, and is powered through the USB connection. It is on sale here at the moment ($60 Canadian), as a new model is coming out. WD apparently changes the model numbers every year or so. WDBGPU0010BBK-NESN seems to be the new model no. These numbers are for the black versions, and other colors are available.
A 1 TB drive gives about 200 hours of recording time.
HW180STB_NewVerUser

Postby jrichmond » February 11th, 2016, 2:27 am

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize these forums don't email me replies by default, so I didn't know you guys replied until just now.

I went ahead and bought a Seagate 3TB external desktop drive (http://amzn.com/B00TKFEEJ4). Hopefully it ends up working. So far, my HW180STB only cycles between the Mediasonic logo and static when the drive is plugged in. :\
jrichmond

Postby padgett » February 11th, 2016, 9:26 pm

Is the drive formatted NTFS ? As I recall, the 180 does not recognize FAT32 or EXFAT. Now you should not try to create a partition over 2 GB with NTFS so with a 3GB drive you will need to create two partitions, one 2GB and the second 1GB then format both NTFS. I have not checked but the 180 may only see the first partition.
padgett

Postby hueypokerbrainz » March 7th, 2016, 4:56 am

padgett wrote:... Now you should not try to create a partition over 2 GB with NTFS so with a 3GB drive you will need to create two partitions, one 2GB and the second 1GB then format both NTFS. I have not checked but the 180 may only see the first partition.

Thanks for this info, I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was wrong with my setup.
Hopefully a firmware update will address this size issue.
hueypokerbrainz

Postby sven » July 17th, 2016, 2:31 pm

I purchased the HW180STB in Oct 2015. I also did not see any drive size limitation in the manual, so I bought a 4TB drive to use with the PVR, and it works. The only issue is that the PVR takes about 70 seconds to start recording. So I have to set timer recordings to start 2 minutes early so it doesn’t miss the start time of the program. The PVR is just very slow to begin reading or writing to the drive, but otherwise works just fine. Where this is most inconvenient is entering Time Shift or pressing REC. The screen says "Enter Record, Waiting..." for about 70 seconds before it starts recording. During this time, the unit will not respond to any remote commands until recording starts. Also, pressing USB on the remote can take about 20 seconds or so to respond and enter the Multimedia screen, during which there is no message on the screen. Just have to be patient - it does work.

Exact model of drive: WD 4TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN.
sven

Postby jrichmond » July 18th, 2016, 11:37 am

The 3TB never ended up working properly, so I went back and ordered a 2TB Seagate Expansion Drive instead (STEB2000100). After about 5 months, it's still working great with the HW180STB.

Here's the 2TB drive on Amazon:
http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00TKFEE9E
jrichmond

Postby techietype » July 22nd, 2016, 6:47 pm

Getting discouraged; bought a USB3 1TB HDD w/o separate power, but before installing, read mfr note on forum saying this will burn out the STB180's board. So I bought a powered hub and connected through it - only to find that loaded down the signal and caused blocking in the recording on most channels.

So I returned that and bought an externally powered Seagate USB3 3TB HDD. Unlike lucky Sven, my STB180 then started, within a few seconds of my connecting the HDD, to reset continuously . Okay, then I repartioned it with my laptop so that one partition was 1.99TB and the other 1.01TB. When I reconnected, NO CHANGE from the STB 180 continuously reseting whenever the HDD is connected.

Now, unable to return my modified HDD to Best Buy, I wonder if anybody has any suggestions?
techietype

Return to HomeWorx HW130STB and HW180STB ATSC Digital Converter Box with Media Player Function & HDMI