Just Bought HW180STB - VERY PLEASED

Support and Discussion for Homeworx HW130STB and HW180STB

Just Bought HW180STB - VERY PLEASED

Postby Fugger » January 8th, 2019, 12:42 am

I have been looking for a way to record OTA broadcasts for a while and after a bit of research decided to give the Mediasonic HW180STB a try.

After learning how to get it connected and set up it's exactly what I wanted. I do understand that some people report problems but this new version seems to have the bugs ironed out.
Some people have said that the units fail after about a year. It seems the new units have a nice heat sink added to the processor chip and that should help.
I removed the top cover from mine to allow even better cooling. This may void the warranty, but at this price I accept that.

Is it "perfect"? No. But on a budget it is as close to perfect as I could have imagined.
There are a few things about it that aren't quite as "polished" as the $300-$400 units, and I'll be posting a few questions to see if there's any resolution but....HEY...it's around $30.00 US on Amazon !
Even if I can't change a thing, I would buy another in a heartbeat.

If you're considering this for OTA (Over The Air / aka Broadcast) recording I would RUN for this.

In my opinion, this is a PHENOMENAL value and works great. I have absolutely no connection to MediaSonic nor received ANY incentive to post this.
It's just a great product at a price that blows the alternatives out of the park.

Thanks MediaSonic !
Fugger

Re: Just Bought HW180STB - VERY PLEASED

Postby offroad » June 10th, 2019, 2:37 pm

you can always buy a $5 warranty extra on it, for five years. I like to do that for all my electronics to make sure they will work, or I get my money back to apply for something else. So far my new 180STB is working great and plays my saved MP4 and MKV files with no problems.
offroad

Return to HomeWorx HW130STB and HW180STB ATSC Digital Converter Box with Media Player Function & HDMI