SMART Data not passed

Support and Discussion for HUR3-SU3S3 ProRaid - For PC Users

SMART Data not passed

Postby dbw09 » August 10th, 2014, 12:10 pm

Hello, I recently bought an HUR3-SU3S3 enclosure. Upon setting it up, I noticed that when connected by USB3 that it was shown as a JMS56x Series USB device and that no SMART data was being passed. I did some research online and it appears as though the USB 3 chipset in the device (JMS56x) is not passing the command along. I found this by googling "JMS56x SMART" and found a few references (http://sourceforge.net/p/smartmontools/mailman/message/32691422/). This is very problematic and I will likely be forced to return the enclosure. Has anyone at Mediasonic tried to see the SMART data when it is connected by USB 3?

Edit: I also tried this using esata and only inserting one hard drive. No SMART data is passed using esata either.
dbw09

Re: SMART Data not passed

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » August 23rd, 2014, 1:22 am

it is a new chipset
we are waiting for Jmicron to give us more detail as if this chipset will support SMART or not
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » August 27th, 2014, 11:36 am

We found out that Hard disk sentinel works
the SMART info works for drive 2 only and only when you have 2 drives in it

So with 2 drive in the enclosure and with enclosure in single mode, you can check the SMART info on drive 2
if you need to check drive one, then just swap drive 1 to drive 2

In Raid mode
you will need to use this Jmicron Raid manager to see the SMART info

https://www.sendspace.com/file/ghvvoz

Raid Manager.JPG
Raid Manager.JPG (47.25 KiB) Viewed 12667 times
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Postby dbw09 » August 30th, 2014, 10:24 am

Thanks for the info. I do use Hard Disk Sentinel for my SMART monitoring. However, having to swap the drives around in order to be able to read the info is not ideal for me... jmicron should really fix their firmware so that it passes the SMART data correctly without having to jump through hoops.

I do understand this this is not the fault of Mediasonic, however, and I thank you for your reply.
dbw09

Postby theunk » November 8th, 2014, 2:32 pm

Just got a few of these boxes and installed the Jmicron Raid Manager. It doesn't show update date but is version 0.00.00.12 and on the two boxes I have set up as Raid1 so far (both USB3) and it DOES show the SMART for both drives in each RAID1 (as is - no 'drive swapping' needed to get it).
theunk

Postby Zod » March 4th, 2015, 7:46 am

Is there any update on this? The SMART info provided by the RAID Manager is very limited and not very useful - it doesn't show the "raw" value like smartctl.exe does (so the temperature is shown as a number between 100 and 150 rather than as a valid Celsius temp), and I'm not seeing a valid # of power on hours either.

This is with "Large" set. If you set JBOD, you get nothing at all in that tool. Having to swap slots won't work as I want to monitor the temperature in each position, so obviously having to swap the drives to do that is pointless.

If there any kind of firmware update from JMicron to fix the JBOD situation? I don't think the folks at smartctl.exe can add it to the database until there's some working mechanism to get the values.

One idea, though. Could it be perhaps that the RAID Manager software could try reading the SMART data even if not in RAID mode, but just has that feature disabled? Or, would it be possible to enable it momentarily to exract the SMART info without reformatting? (Dangerous I know.)
Zod

Postby Admin_Mediasonic » March 10th, 2015, 9:51 am

Zod wrote:Is there any update on this? The SMART info provided by the RAID Manager is very limited and not very useful - it doesn't show the "raw" value like smartctl.exe does (so the temperature is shown as a number between 100 and 150 rather than as a valid Celsius temp), and I'm not seeing a valid # of power on hours either.

This is with "Large" set. If you set JBOD, you get nothing at all in that tool. Having to swap slots won't work as I want to monitor the temperature in each position, so obviously having to swap the drives to do that is pointless.

If there any kind of firmware update from JMicron to fix the JBOD situation? I don't think the folks at smartctl.exe can add it to the database until there's some working mechanism to get the values.

One idea, though. Could it be perhaps that the RAID Manager software could try reading the SMART data even if not in RAID mode, but just has that feature disabled? Or, would it be possible to enable it momentarily to exract the SMART info without reformatting? (Dangerous I know.)

read not in Raid mode
did you try Hard disk sentinel?

Hard disk sentinel works
the SMART info works for drive 2 only and only when you have 2 drives in it

So with 2 drive in the enclosure and with enclosure in single mode(that Is not Raid), you can check the SMART info on drive 2
if you need to check drive one, then just swap drive 1 to drive 2
Admin_Mediasonic
Site Admin

Return to HUR3-SU3S3 ProRaid - For PC Users