TV/VCR Question

Have questions? Need information about a Product? Post it here, Let us answer before you buy

TV/VCR Question

Postby rbeltz48 » August 19th, 2014, 1:33 pm

I have a fairly new Toshiba digital TV and receive broadcast channels only using a rooftop antenna. I would like to know if I can record timer TV programs through my old Panasonic VHS analog recorder (Model PV-V4522, Mfg. 2002) if I put a digital converter box between the antenna and the VHS recorder.

I have received several online opinions about this. Half of the people said yes I can with a converter box. The other half said that I can't record digital TV programs through a converter box to my analog VHS recorder. They said I need to buy a recorder with a built-in digital tuner.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer about this? If this is possible, then which Mediasonic converter box would be the best choice. Thank you.
rbeltz48

Re: TV/VCR Question

Postby andyaz » August 19th, 2016, 3:19 pm

I'm surprised no one has responded. I'm very certain that you can use the analog VHS with a digital to analog converter. That seems pretty self-explanatory, no? However, if you want to program the VHS to record unattended (pretty likely, yes?), then the VHS needs to be able to change channels on the converter box. If the VHS has an IR out port, you plug an IR Blaster into that, and place the transmitters in front of the IR receiver on the converter box. From there it's just like programming a universal remote, so of course you need the IR code for the converter box. The reason I know all this is that I'm trying to do the same thing with an old tivo dvr with analog tuner. I've used the blasters on a cable box, and it works fine. I've just "cut the cord", but I want to keep using the tivo with OTA cuz I bought a lifetime contract for that unit in 2005. Tivo has an (old) list of supported converters, but they're all high priced and do nothing else. So, that's why I'm here. Didn't expect to answer anyone else's questions.
andyaz

Re: TV/VCR Question

Postby AndyH-mf » November 9th, 2016, 4:48 pm

Recording to VCR works fine. Use the analogue out of the converter box (the yellow, red, white jacks) to go to the line in jacks of the VCR. Record from line in on the VCR schedule.

There is no need to have control between the VCR and converter box. They are completely independent. You can program both to come on at the same time, the converter to the proper channel and the VCR recording from line in.

On the converter box you must set the last schedule parameter to View rather than Record (unless you are also going to record onto something plugged into the USB port?).

I haven't tested whether dual recording will work or not but if you are trying to record to VCR rather than USB, setting the converter to Record, rather than View, will earn you the message that no media is found and the converter will shut off.

Alternately, you can just turn the converter on, to the proper channel, ahead of time, with no scheduled timing. The VCR will activate according to the schedule you programmed into it and record whatever is coming in on its line in.

Play back from the VCR to the analogue in of the TV.

One peculiarity of the Homeworx converter is that when it is on, connected to the VCR, you may not get signal to the TV for playback from the VCR. This was never the problem with earlier DTV converters. I've had variable success with the Homeworx so just stopped having the converter powdered up during VCR playback.

Exactly what happens with both devices turned on seems to be different for home VCR recorded material and commercial movie VHS tapes. I've don't know why.

I have not paid any attention to the RF output of the Homeworx converter box. On earlier, no-digital-out DTV converters, one could use the converter RF out to the (analogue) TV RF in, or to the VCR RF in (set to either channel 3 or 4) to record and play back. The picture quality was less than using the composite analogue signal, but it worked fine. I think, at least for some current brand DTV converters, you can set the converter's RF out to either the original digital in RF (the default) or to converted analogue out (using channels 3 or 4) but I haven't cared to investigate.
AndyH-mf

Return to Presales