Random Disconnects

Support and Discussion for H82-SU3S2 ProBox - For PC Users

Random Disconnects

Postby kernunrex » February 28th, 2018, 11:36 pm

I see this is a problem complained about for years. Is there any solution for this, or should I just find a different product?

I've had this for 1 month and has no troubles at all until this week. Hard Disk Sentinel reports 0 issues with any of my drives. Windows 10 1709 fully updated. This replaced a StarTech dock that gave me no problems with the exact same drives on the exact same USB 3.0 port.
kernunrex

Re: Random Disconnects

Postby kernunrex » March 7th, 2018, 10:07 pm

No reply from Mediasonic after a week, which shouldn't be a surprise as they've ignored this thread http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=3898 on the same issue since September.

Anyone out there have a recommendation for an 8-bay device from another company? I ended up going with this one as the reviews for the others were even worse, but maybe another is worth a try? Else, I may just buy 8 seperate HDD cases, as much of pain as that will be...
kernunrex

Postby RedPark » March 14th, 2018, 11:03 pm

I would also like to see an answer to this post. This is extremely annoying that I spent so much on this unit and all it does is disconnect a several times a day, which interrupts tasks I have going on.

Is there a fix or did we waste our money, is this covered under some kind of warranty or replacement?
RedPark

Postby jlwoodsmsn » April 17th, 2019, 5:29 pm

After dealing with this issue with multiple drives on multiple PCs I was about to throw my HRU5-SU3 into electronics recycling, but decided to try another computer and another possible interface solution - USB 2.x instead of USB 3.0. Both of these worked. Because inserting a USB 2.x hub between the unit and the PC significantly slows down the drive I then decided to insert a 3.0 USB hub between them and found that two out of three hubs also worked. Here are the combinations and what did and didn't work (in this case the unit was setup with two Western Digital Blue 2TB HDDs in a RAID1 configuration):
o Direct connect to Lenovo M910 USB 3.0 Windows 10 Pro = disconnects
o Direct connect to Dell D7010 USFF USB 3.0 Windows 10 Pro = works
o Connect to M910 through Anker 3.0 USB hub = works
o Connect to M910 through Sabrent 3.0 USB hub = hangs
o Connect to M910 through Targus 3.0 USB hub = works
o Connect to M910 through iHome 2.0 USB hub = works

I have had zero issues with the working configurations above for over 1.5TB of transfers and backups to the drive (in a RAID1 configuration) and transfer rates have been ~125MB/s write and up to 2.2GB/s read. I cannot remember the PC that kept disconnecting last year when I tried it with two Toshiba 3TB HDDs and I have only tried it with an older i7 Gateway tower so I cannot categorically state this will work under all conditions; however, for it to work reliably with even just one configuration indicates the unit hardware and software is consistent and reliable under specific configurations. I do not know the specific failure mechanism at this point and although I'm a PC design and BIOS engineer I will likely not dig further into the issue, but I wanted to pass along at least one possible work around for this issue.
jlwoodsmsn

Return to H82-SU3S2 ProBox - For PC Users